Ethernet connected computer has internet, even my cellphone, but that laptop doesn't.

ahoq123

Reputable
Jun 28, 2015
My main PC is what I have my router connected to through ethernet. My laptop is right next to the router, it has the wifi signal but there is no internet. All it keeps saying is windows was unable to connect to the network. Sometimes I've been able to get the internet up, and the laptop shows it is connected with no issues when I've used the windows trouble shooter, but when I attempt to load a web page it says the DNS probe failed. But on my android phone I am able to connect to the internet and browse, it is slower than usual but it works.

I have reset my router multiple times, restarted laptops and main PC, reset to factory defaults, but with no luck so far. I tried a system restore from a week earlier on my laptop, thinking some of the programs we're messing with the firewall settings perhaps, but I couldn't find anything. All windows keeps telling me to do is restart my router. I have a D-Link 2750 B router that is no more than 3 months old so I hope that is not it.

Thanks for any help.

RealBeast

Titan
What OS are you using Windows 8.1?

Move your laptop 3-5 feet from the router, not right next to it or any other devices that are on the same radio frequency (if 2.4GHz insure that wireless mice, speakers, headphones, baby monitors, etc. are not right next to it.).

In the laptop's device manager does the wireless adapter show up, and not have a yellow exclamation next to it? If it is there and working, try the next step:

In the laptop network control panel, manage wireless networks, do you see the SSID of your wireless? If so, delete it and restart your computer and allow it to re-find the network and select it, enter your security key.

And if you look in the router configuration page do you see that the laptop is one of the attached devices?

If it still is not working and not seen by the router, is it recognized if you attach it with an Ethernet cable?

If so, download THIS free wireless analyzer, install it on the laptop and run it to detect all nearby wireless radio signals. Insure that there are no other strong signals on the same channel.