[SOLVED] Ethernet connected only after manual IP input but no internet

vetofallen

Prominent
Apr 3, 2019
My PC can't identify the network when I plug in the ethernet cable. In the troubleshooting section it says that my ethernet "doesn't have a valid IP configuration". When I ran ipconfig my IP started with "169" which apparently meant it can't get the IP address automatically. When I log in to the router's admin page, there was some data sent to the cable, around 1 MB, so the router recognizes the ethernet.

I've tried rebooting my PC and restarting my router, commands into cmd to reset my network, installing new network drivers - nothing. The only progress I could make is when I manually input the IP and DNS, the network is now identified but there is still no internet.

My household has a setup where there is a second router that acts as a range extender for the main router downstairs (the router I'm trying to connect to). When I plug into the range extender router, I still had to manually input the IP and DNS, however after I did that the connection works.

So I think the issue is that my router is set up in a way that blocks ethernet (but I haven't touched anything on the settings), and that my PC has an issue with DHCP since it doesn't automatically get the IPs for both routers... help please?

Solution
Welp, it seems like I just forgot to enable the port on my router to give connection... The company only set up 2/4 ports to be able to use the internet. Sometimes it do be like that.

@Nash00794, thank you for replying!

vetofallen

Prominent
Apr 3, 2019
Well, this could also mean that there is no DHCP running on the router as well,
If it does, try updating the ethernet adaptor of your PC.

Check on your router if you are learning the MAC of your PC via the relevant eth port

From what you are saying, it could also be that the ethernet port you are trying is on a separate network/Vlan on the router and might be running a different subnet, check if this is the case as well

Please keep us posted

Cheers

Thanks for your reply!

I've checked and the DHCP is running on the router, there is a primary and secondary DHCP server and they're both enabled. My ethernet adaptors are updated as well.

The PC MAC isn't logged onto the router, no. In fact there is a list of "wired connections" and the ethernet isn't listed on it...

From what you are saying, it could also be that the ethernet port you are trying is on a separate network/Vlan on the router and might be running a different subnet, check if this is the case as well

How would I go about checking this?

vetofallen

Prominent
Apr 3, 2019
Welp, it seems like I just forgot to enable the port on my router to give connection... The company only set up 2/4 ports to be able to use the internet. Sometimes it do be like that.

@Nash00794, thank you for replying!

Solution