Question Ethernet connection "cannot establish a valid IP configuration" only on my desktop

nevez

Prominent
Jun 27, 2019
As of yesterday, I've been unable to connect to the internet via my ethernet connection (using a powerline adapter). It continually switches between identifying my network but having no internet, and having an unidentified network with no internet. I've windows diagnosed the connection and was given the error: "Ethernet cannot establish a valid IP configuration". I scoured the internet and tried a number of solutions (restarting my router, unplugging everything, switching the cables, using cmd to flush DNS and a number of other commands, uninstalling and updating drivers, changing Windows startup settings, etc etc etc) but none of them have worked so far.
My wifi still works on my desktop and my ethernet connections works just fine on my laptop, so I'm guessing the problem lies with my desktop and not the connections themselves? It might be a coincidence but I first noticed the problem while I was attempting to port forward for a game. I'm honestly not sure at this point, but I'll go ahead and provide any necessary specs below.

System information
Motherboard (where my ethernet is connected): BIOSTAR Hi-Fi B85S3+
Power Supply: Rosewill ARC-M550

Network Interface Controllers:
-Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller (Ethernet, part of motherboard)
-Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC (Wi-Fi)

Powerline Adapter: TP-Link AV600 Powerline Starter Kit (TL-PA4010 KIT)

Network information
Provider: Frontier Communications
Router: ARRIS NVG468MQ
Devices on network: 9 wireless, 3 MoCA, 0 wired (as of rn)
(let me know if any other information is necessary, I wasn't sure based on the sticky post)

Last edited:

nevez

Prominent
Jun 27, 2019
what did you do to try port forward?
I was port forwarding port 25565 to setup a Minecraft server, for further information.
I accessed my router's login page (Frontier), went to the port forwarding tab and selected the following :

Select Device - (my desktop)
Public IP Address (optional)- (public IP for my desktop)
Application - Custom
Protocol: TCP/UDP, second attempt TCP
Global Port Range: 25565 - 25565
Local Base Port: 25565

and that was all I added before I started having issues.