Ethernet Connection Cuts Off Sporadically While Playing Games

WeegeeVenom

Reputable
Dec 11, 2015
(Tested with Destiny 2 and TF2). I have an ethernet connection, but about 5 minutes into the game my connection goes from perfectly fine to actually nonexistent. The symbol even changes to the monitor with the X, showing no connections. When I close the games, however, the problem disappears. I've tried turning off the "turn device off for power" option. We've installed a new router recently but even that hasn't fixed any problems.

Network adapter: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Update: I've done some more testing, it seems to only disconnect while I'm in an online game itself (which, the campaign is part of), and it switches between connected and not connected a couple of times until I just lose full connection to the server, in which my internet stays connected indefinitely (or at least, until I connect to the servers again)

Update 2: I do want to say that this problem has started recently, and that my internet worked perfectly fine before. This happened about a week or two after my move into my new house.

Solution
can be that the chipset on the mb is failing from age or heat. if the mb is out of warranty the cheap fix may be a new network card. (pci). if it not the ethernet port it may be bad power under gaming load.

WeegeeVenom

Reputable
Dec 11, 2015

These are the logs that get left behind.

|HHUB|00078989D9FC|TI04-708H|2018/11/10|00:22:09|trap|00078989D9FC|0203|[lan4] link up|+|
|HHUB|00078989D9FC|TI04-708H|2018/11/10|00:22:06|trap|00078989D9FC|0204|[lan4] link down|+|

Ralston18

Titan
Is your computer is plugged into LAN Port 4 on the router? Or is some other device plugged into that port?

Try your existing ethernet cable in another LAN port on the router.

Try another known working Ethernet cable between LAN Port 4 and your computer.

WeegeeVenom

Reputable
Dec 11, 2015

I have tried plugging the cable into another LAN port, but it doesn't seem to work. I have ordered an Ethernet cable already but it'll be arriving by this Monday. However, I just tested the cable on my laptop and the internet works perfectly (gave me 500mbps down and 800 mbps up (my desktop gave me 200 down and 10~20 up)), so I'm not sure if the cable or the LAN port is the problem, but possibly some software/hardware issue in my desktop itself. I tried reinstalling the driver again from the website, but it hasn't fixed any problems.

WeegeeVenom

Reputable
Dec 11, 2015

I've tried the dnsflushing, but sadly it didn't affect anything at all. As for the resource monitor part, what do you mean by low Send/Recieve rates? About half of my processes are sending/recieving 0 Bytes/Sec (nvcontainer.exe (which sometimes jumps to very high levels (4,000 B/sec)), NVIDIA Web Helper.exe, NVIDIA Share.exe), along with some other low ones like svchost.exe(NetworkService -p) and spd.exe However, the max speed any of them have is ~400 B/sec (other than nvcontainer.exe's random spikes).

Ralston18

Titan
By "low" I was thinking about some process or app attempting to send or receive but failing to do so because of some bug, corruption, or conflict.

And, in the overall scheme of things, prevents other processes from being able to run as they should.

Not sure but I am wondering about the NVIDIA references.

Perhaps reinstalling the applicable NVIDIA drivers may resolve the issue. Perhaps they are corrupted and causing some conflict.

No proof per se - just thinking out loud for the moment....

WeegeeVenom

Reputable
Dec 11, 2015

I've reinstalled the drivers, but it seems nothing has changed. I do have a theory of my own, in which my ethernet port might have a problem, and so I wanted to order a USB 3.0 to Ethernet Port to test it out. Does that sound like a good idea?

WeegeeVenom

Reputable
Dec 11, 2015

Yea I plan on checking if it's the ethernet port by ordering a cheap usb to ethernet plug. If that works, then the ethernet port must be bad.

WeegeeVenom

Reputable
Dec 11, 2015

I tested my connection with a USB to WiFi adapter. Although it was a lot slower than the ethernet, it didn't cut out at all while I was playing. I'm probably going to get a USB to Ethernet port to speed up my network connection sometime down the road.

WeegeeVenom

Reputable
Dec 11, 2015
Update on the answer: I just got my ethernet port and the speed hasn't increased at all. It probably is from the mobo failing from age b/c it's a hand-me-down from a friend 2 years ago. I have been planning on upgrading my mobo/cpu soon, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem in the long-run.