[SOLVED] Ethernet connection cuts out for about 5 seconds throughout the day

Mar 1, 2021
I have a 135m ethernet CAT 5E cable running down to my garage into my desktop. The speed is fine but about 5 times a day the connection will drop for about 5 seconds and come straight back. I'm not sure if it is a cable problem because apart from the cutting out it works perfectly fine. It could be a problem with my desktop but it has had no problems like this before. Replacing the cable will be quite a hassle so other suggestions would be appreciated.

Solution
In some ways it is surprising it works at all. A lot of equipment will not tolerate a cable that is even a small distance over the limit.

There is no cable that will solve the problem. This is partially a limitation by ports. If it were as simple as using different cable ISP would run ethernet rather than fiber to go long distance.

The standard solution is to use fiber optic cable but it is normally run and then the ends put on. This is not something a home user can really do so you have to buy pre terminated fiber. The issue is the pre terminated fiber is really meant to be used as patch cables and running it in walls is not what it is designed for. You can break it extremely easily.

You could look at what is called...
Mar 1, 2021
The maximum length for cat5e is set to be 100m as standard. Longer cables get more prone to noise, and the connection drop outs may be caused by some nearby cables that transmitting noise (i.e. when water heater turn on/off).
I there any solution to this. What cable would you recommend at this range?

In some ways it is surprising it works at all. A lot of equipment will not tolerate a cable that is even a small distance over the limit.

There is no cable that will solve the problem. This is partially a limitation by ports. If it were as simple as using different cable ISP would run ethernet rather than fiber to go long distance.

The standard solution is to use fiber optic cable but it is normally run and then the ends put on. This is not something a home user can really do so you have to buy pre terminated fiber. The issue is the pre terminated fiber is really meant to be used as patch cables and running it in walls is not what it is designed for. You can break it extremely easily.

You could look at what is called ethernet extenders but this is a form of DSL and is much slower than ethernet. It can run kilometer distances.

Now it all depends on where the cable runs. If you could put a switch in the path so you break the 135 meters into 2 parts both under 100 meters that will also work.

Solution