Ethernet Connection Help

ThatZiast

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016
I am planning on connecting my gaming PC to the internet via ethernet cable for more reliable and faster connection. There is an ethernet port (Cat5) in my wall, and another ethernet port next to my modem. The ethernet port next to my modem has a wire coming out from the port into the modem. I am guessing that I have to buy a wired network adapter for my PC and then get an ethernet cable, plug it into the adapter and then the ethernet port in my wall? If so, is this a good wired network adapter - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CY0P7G/?tag=pcpapi-20 ? Plz help! Thanks! (if it is any help I live in a house, not an apartment)

Solution
Ok cool you should be able to use that as the wifi extender/ 2nd access point. Run the wire from the wall to the 2500 rp and from the 2500 rp to the computer. Then do not have the 2500 rp replicate the wifi signal from the router to extend it. Put it in access point mode and use the high speed connection that came from the wall to rebroadcast the wifi signal. use the same ssid and password but differnt network channels for both the wireless signals.

InvalidError

Titan
If you are on DSL (wall "Ethernet" -> modem -> WiFi for your PC), that's not an Ethernet port in the wall, it is just a phone jack which may be using an RJ45 jack which is the same type used for Ethernet. Wiring inside the walls may be cat3/4/5, loose riser cables or just ordinary four wires phone cable.

Unless your PC is over 12 years old, it likely has a built-in Ethernet port.

What computer do you have that does not have an Ethernet port but has PCIe? Virtually all computers for the last 10 years have Ethernet ports on the MB. That card is fine assuming you have a computer that accepts PCIe. but if you do have PCIe you should have onboard Ethernet.

ThatZiast

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016

So would I have to plug an ethernet cable from my PC directly to the modem?

Good thought on the phone jack.
pull the "Ethernet" jack off of the wall and inspect the cable to verify weather it is phone or CAT-5. Check the insulation jack and wire count. cat 5 should have 8 wires and be labeled on the cable jacket with its category and speed in MHZ

InvalidError

Titan

Yes.

If you actually have in-wall Ethernet, there would need to be a patch panel somewhere in your home/apartment to either install a switch in or use jumper cables to route outlets between each other as-needed.

ThatZiast

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016

Where the "ethernet" wire is plugged in, there are two ports. The bottom one says Cat5 above it but the top one is blank. The wire is plugged into the top one. When I unplugged the wire, a red light was blinking next to text that said "BB". When I plugged it back in, it was green again

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
if you do have in wall ethernet, it may be worth it to just to try to plug from the wall to the modem and from the wall to your computer and see if it works. if not, chances are like InvalidError said, there is a panel somehwere

ThatZiast

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016

I have NETGEAR modem extender near my room. Could I plug an ethernet cable into my computer and then the extender?

InvalidError

Titan
If there is a patch panel somewhere (a place where all your in-wall RJ45 runs go to), then your best option might be to see if the telephone line also passes there and relocate your modem there so you can patch its LAN port to whichever run on the patch panel that goes to the outlet you want to use for your PC.

Your other option would be to connect your modem's LAN port to the in-wall cat5 and use a patch cable at the patch panel to connect the modem's cat5 run to the cat5 run that goes to your PC.

The patch panel might be in a closet, possibly hidden behind a panel.

Modem extender or Router extender? is it a wireless extender? if you hard wire the extender it basically becomes a second access point. if modem extender can you provide the model number of the extender? You would need 2 Ethernet ports in the computer to daisy chain (which is what your question implies) and would have to configure the computer network settings to do that. it would be better to connect whatever extender you have and the computer directly to the router or switch connected to the router.

ThatZiast

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016

Pretty sure it is a router extender. It looks kinda like a modem and has LAN ports. So I could connect the ethernet from the PC to the router extender? (sry i am a n3wb)

How far away is the wi fi extender from the router? Are you eanting to connect the witeless extender and computer to the one in wall eathernet port? If yes biy a gigibit switch. Connect it to the wall outlet and plug the computer and wifi extender into the switch.

ThatZiast

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016

It is a wifi range extender, model number WN2500RP v2 and it has 4 LAN ports

Ok cool you should be able to use that as the wifi extender/ 2nd access point. Run the wire from the wall to the 2500 rp and from the 2500 rp to the computer. Then do not have the 2500 rp replicate the wifi signal from the router to extend it. Put it in access point mode and use the high speed connection that came from the wall to rebroadcast the wifi signal. use the same ssid and password but differnt network channels for both the wireless signals.

Solution

ThatZiast

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016

Thanks and one more thing: When you say "Run the wire from the wall" which wire do you mean?

Operating under assumptions here. You have a wire coming from wall into modem and from modem to router or from wall into modem/router combo unit.

A wire should then go from the router or combo unit into the wall jack that goes to the other network port that you are trying to connect the computer and wifi extender.
The wall network ports lilkley all go to the same location which is where youbshould put your router or switch.

If this is not how you are configured clearify your configuration.

TRENDING THREADS