Ethernet Connection I219-V adapter is experiencing driver- or hardware- related problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

onemorebiscuit

Commendable
May 10, 2016
As you'd guess from the title, having some issues with internet connection, when I troubleshoot it says: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" - I've tried many things:

Restarted PC
Reinstalled LAN and Chipset drivers
Reinstalled USB Host Controllers/Removed External USBs on restart (Heard this can be a fault)
Screamed at my PC to work (I've done this a fair bit too, to no prevail)

I can't find anything now on the internet that gives me a solution, most threads all state the same solution, but they don't work.

Things I'd like to avoid, unless it becomes the only means of fixing:

Reinstalling Windows

Solution
Well, I have one system just full of the Service Control Manager Event ID 7001 entries. Not helpful per se but my last understanding was that there is some bug involved. Eventually I will get back to it. Main problem is that the computer is not showing up on the network but there are other issues as well. (I.e., used by younger family members - not a priority to fix....)

What you can do is go into Task Manager > Services and find the respective service(s). Select and right-click. See if you can manually start the service. You may receive another error regarding the requirement that some other service needs to be first running or started. Or perhaps some message about the need for matching admin rights. Can get very messy but...

Ralston18

Titan
Did the LAN and chipset drivers come from Intel?

What OS are you using? Have you tried the network troubleshooter?

Do your Event Viewer logs show any related errors or warnings? Could be that some other needed process or service has failed/failed to start thus cascading to the ethernet adapter's failure to start.

onemorebiscuit

Commendable
May 10, 2016
The LAN Driver was from ASUS, for my board, and the Chipset was from Intel

OS is Windows 10 64 bit, and Yes, tried the troubleshooter

Unsure what the Event Viewer is/how to use it.

Ralston18

Titan
Type "Event Viewer" without the quotes in the Search the web and Windows box.

Event Viewer will appear at the top of the window that opens up. Select and click.

You will probably find yourself in a maze of confusing folders etc.. Just explore for a bit and look for entries related to connectivity. Especially anything with a red circle. You can right click those entries for additional details/Event Properties. Error codes may be provided.

It is especially useful if you can identify events just before or at the time that connectivity was lost.

You do not need to immediately react to any one given event. Search about to see the bigger picture.

Also be aware that if the logs are large they may take some time to load and present.

onemorebiscuit

Commendable
May 10, 2016
The main errors I am getting, linked to my problem are in 'Windows Logs > System'

Error - Service Control Manager - Event ID: 7001 : "The NetTcpActivator service on the NetTcpPortSharing service which failed to start because of the following error: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it"

Following that:

"Error - e1iexpress - Event ID: 24 - Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) l218-V #2 PROBLEM: Unable to start the network adapter. ACTION: Install the latest driver from "http://www.intel.com/support/go/network/adaptor/home.htm"

And before you say go to the link and download the driver, I've tried, downloaded a few, because unsure which I was meant to, and still got nowhere.

I've also tried reinstalling the chipset and LAN drivers from the original motherboard disc, the chipset downgraded fine, but didn't affect the situation, and the LAN driver refused to download, stated that a the best driver for my system was currently already installed on the system.

There is also a hefty amount of 'Warning's in the Event Viewer, which appear after each restart, they are all different, but all start with "Task Scheduler service found a misconfiguration in the NT Task\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center OR \ContextManager"

I hope some of this information is helpful, and someone can help me further. As it stands, I'm working from my laptop, which is how I am able to access the internet, but it's not helpful, as not all my work and software is on here.

Thanks in advance

Ralston18

Titan
Well, I have one system just full of the Service Control Manager Event ID 7001 entries. Not helpful per se but my last understanding was that there is some bug involved. Eventually I will get back to it. Main problem is that the computer is not showing up on the network but there are other issues as well. (I.e., used by younger family members - not a priority to fix....)

What you can do is go into Task Manager > Services and find the respective service(s). Select and right-click. See if you can manually start the service. You may receive another error regarding the requirement that some other service needs to be first running or started. Or perhaps some message about the need for matching admin rights. Can get very messy but worth a look.

"perfmon /rel" may help. Presents a calendar/timeline based list of events. Clicking the red circles will present more information about the errors.

You are on the right track - just keep trying to pin down some consistent chain of events/errors. Google or post. Hopefully there is one implementable fix that resolves a cascade of failures. Probably a process of elimination now.

Solution

Viking18

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
What worked for me was to 'Disable' the I219-V adapter under Network adapters in the Device Manager and then immediately 'Enable' it. That solved my internet troubles without even needing to re/install drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.