[SOLVED] Ethernet connection issue Asus prime z390

maxwell005

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Hi all,

I have an issue with my Ethernet connection. Just built my 1st system with the below specs. All went smoothly and everything works well (so far) there is only my Ethernet which is not working properly. Connection is dropping every few sec. Tried installing latest drivers from Intel and Asus, flashing my bios to latest version, checked the cable (it works with my laptop) but so far nothing:(
Would it be possible that the motherboard has a faulty Ethernet ?

I7 8700k
Asus prime z390 a
G skill ddr 3200 16gb
Samsung m.2 nvme 512gb
evga rtx 2080

Thanks for your help

Solution
You have to investigate more. Connection is dropping can be caused by many things. There is a huge difference between the internet doesn't work and the port actually physically goes down.

The most common cause of physical problems is the ethernet cable. There is a lot of fake trash ethernet cables on the market. Some device work with them and others do not. A ethernet cable is cheap buy a new one. Be sure it is cat5e or cat6 if you can get it cheaper. You want pure copper wire with wire size 22-24. No CCA cable and no flat or thin cable.

Other than that turn off any power save features for the ethernet port and uninstall any of lan accelerator software if it was bundled with your motherboard.
Feb 14, 2019
no the ethernet port restarting repeatedly is usually either your faulty internet , something over the internet or a faulty windows . try deleting and reinstalling your network driver if not clean install windows .

You have to investigate more. Connection is dropping can be caused by many things. There is a huge difference between the internet doesn't work and the port actually physically goes down.

The most common cause of physical problems is the ethernet cable. There is a lot of fake trash ethernet cables on the market. Some device work with them and others do not. A ethernet cable is cheap buy a new one. Be sure it is cat5e or cat6 if you can get it cheaper. You want pure copper wire with wire size 22-24. No CCA cable and no flat or thin cable.

Other than that turn off any power save features for the ethernet port and uninstall any of lan accelerator software if it was bundled with your motherboard.

Solution

maxwell005

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

Thanks for the feedback, I bought a USB - Ethernet adapter and it works well. I got a 20mbps connection and it does the trick. Will try anyways a new cable and assess

thanks again