Question Ethernet connection issues

Mar 29, 2022
So I have a PC that I have personally built and for context have previously had it connected to the Ethernet cord before.

I have had an on going issue where I cannot connect my Ethernet to my PC for a wired connection. I just had someone from AT&T come by to ensure me that the port that it is connected into is working and he even gave me a brand new Ethernet cord that I plugged in and is still doesn’t work.

My drivers are all updated and at this point I’m just at a loss to what more I can do. Does anyone have any idea?

kanewolf

Titan
So I have a PC that I have personally built and for context have previously had it connected to the Ethernet cord before.

I have had an on going issue where I cannot connect my Ethernet to my PC for a wired connection. I just had someone from AT&T come by to ensure me that the port that it is connected into is working and he even gave me a brand new Ethernet cord that I plugged in and is still doesn’t work.

My drivers are all updated and at this point I’m just at a loss to what more I can do. Does anyone have any idea?
What are you connecting to (make and model) ?
Is the cable a homemade cable?
Is it a "flat" cable ?
Have you moved your PC close to the router and tried a short cable?

Mar 29, 2022
Will get back to you with pc specs and will check the rest of that as well

PC Specs

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
16.0 GB
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Also looks like light on ethernet cord on the back of my PC is not lit up.

What would I do in regards to ipconfig, ip address, and dns servers. I am vaguely familiar with setting those up but what do you recommend?

Its actually ridiculous I booted up Rocket League on my wifi adaptor for my PC and was getting 300+ ping. I need to figure out some way of making the ethernet work. Also, I just find it strange that I continue to have ping and connection issues with the brand new wifi that I got with 500 mpbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 29, 2022
What are you connecting to (make and model) ?
Is the cable a homemade cable?
Is it a "flat" cable ?
Have you moved your PC close to the router and tried a short cable?
PC specs are in above comment now.

Cable is brand new just got it from the technician from AT&T and he said the port is good to connect to. And the port was double check but the technician to make sure it works.

PC specs are in above comment now.

Cable is brand new just got it from the technician from AT&T and he said the port is good to connect to. And the port was double check but the technician to make sure it works.
You could try this as a test: download a linux live distro and boot from a usb containing that. If you get a connection then at least you'll know its your Windows that's the problem and you may want to consider a complete Windows reinstall.

Mar 29, 2022
You could try this as a test: download a linux live distro and boot from a usb containing that. If you get a connection then at least you'll know its your Windows that's the problem and you may want to consider a complete Windows reinstall.
I actually have fully rebooted my windows PC before and had no success with that as well :/