Question Ethernet connection loss after overclock fail ?

ashdavid

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2014
Hey,
After overclocking in MSI Afterburner and when I get an overclock fail after setting the OC too high I lose access to the internet. The only way I can gain access is to buy a USB ethernet and connect that way. But when I try it again and I again fail with the OC the USB ethernet also loses internet access.

I tried resetting the adapter re-installing the driver and even a full re-install of windows with no solve in sight. What do I have to do to be able to re-connect to the internet after something like this happens.

Cheers Dave

Nov 3, 2021
Hey Dave! Just kinda spitballing on my part, but has anything on your computer broken? It sounds like when OCing your GPU, it somehow drew too much power and shorted out the ethernet port on your motherboard. Weird, but I don't think it's impossible. Do you have a loopback plug or something to at least test if the port is still active?

Reactions: ashdavid

ashdavid

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2014
Hey Dave! Just kinda spitballing on my part, but has anything on your computer broken? It sounds like when OCing your GPU, it somehow drew too much power and shorted out the ethernet port on your motherboard. Weird, but I don't think it's impossible. Do you have a loopback plug or something to at least test if the port is still active?
The port is still active, it just won't connect. I was able to get it working by using a static IP in the IPv4 properties but, after another OC crash that does not work either.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for errors, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the OC crashes.

Start with Reliability History. The timeline format may prove very helpful with identify the errors involved, For example, you mentioned no errors in Safe Mode. So you should see some "gap" in the history with respect to those errors.

You can click on any given error to obtain more detailed information. That information may or may not be helpful.