Question Ethernet connection not working following CPU upgrade.

BPR96

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020
Hi all,

So today I swapped out my Ryzen 5 3600 to a Ryzen 7 5700x. I updated the BIOS before hand.

Since I have installed it, my ethernet connection has been on and off at best. At times it will show the "not connected" symbol, then other times it will show that I am connected but nothing loads, and then for a short while I will be connected to the internet just for it to cut out again.

I have reset Windows, hasn't fixed it. I have installed the ethernet driver and it's still not working. I have no idea what has caused it because it was working perfectly before the new CPU install.

Any idea on what could be causing this?

Thanks all.

I would be suspect of the bios.

The ethernet chip runs off the chipset not the the cpu directly. The chipset is the same as it was before. I don't think the cpu chip has any directly support for network stuff...at least I think it doesn't I have not looked into the details of amd lately.

BPR96

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020
I would be suspect of the bios.

The ethernet chip runs off the chipset not the the cpu directly. The chipset is the same as it was before. I don't think the cpu chip has any directly support for network stuff...at least I think it doesn't I have not looked into the details of amd lately.
just updated BIOS to a later version and still no luck.

Last bet is to just completely wipe windows and reinstall it fresh, see if that works.

Failing that, I guess just install my old CPU and install an older bios and call it a day.