[SOLVED] Ethernet Connection Not Working? *Resolved*

todd_everett

Commendable
Aug 23, 2017
Background. I just moved into my new house, which came with a nice upgrade to GB internet. Cogeco came in last night to install it, and I hooked my PC up today. My previous internet was 120Mbps, which I consistently got via speedtest.

Problem. The Wifi in the house is getting around ~500Mbps on my phone which is fine. My PC, which is beside the router, is only getting ~30Mbps on WIFI, and ~15MBps on Ethernet.

Attempts. I've tried updating my Ethernet drivers, as well as reinstalling them. I also tried installing them through the MOBO software, which didn't change anything. I've also tried making a new Cat6 cable, uninstalling anti-virus programs, and disabling firewalls. My internet was completely fine on my old network 2 days ago, not sure why it would give me problems now. I've also ensured the Speed/Duplex part is set to 1GBs Full Duplex. In the Router settings, It is showing me connected and receiving 1GBps through port 2 (also tried other ports).

For reference, I am on an Asus Z390-E MOBO, with integrated Wifi. I am not using the Wifi dongle they gave me, as it's still packed away (needs to be unpacked by the movers on Thursday). I am however more concerned with the low Ethernet speeds, as I intend to be plugged in at all times. My Ethernet adapter is the Intel Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V.

I've been googling for a few hours now, but have finally broken down and made my own post, as many of the other solutions I've tried have not worked.

System.
MOBO - Z390-E
CPU - i9900k
GPU - MSI 2080Ti
RAM - Corsair Vengeance (3000mhz) 32Gb

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Todd

Last edited:
Solution
Not weird per se.

Likely some software bug, file corruption, or even some configuration issue. Especially if there were any software updates along the way....

The Windows reinstall simply put "things" back to normal.

Just for the record, there are other options that can tried before going the "full reinstall" route.

E.g., driver reinstalls: download directly from the applicable manufacturer, reinstall, and reconfigure.

Try the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Another option is to run "sfc /scannow" via the Command Prompt.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Along the same line is Windows DISM to repair and...

Ralston18

Titan
On your PC ensure that only one network adapter is enabled. Either wired or wireless.

As I understand your post the desired connectivity is wired ethernet. Therefore the PC's wireless network adapter should be disabled.

And this:

" I've also ensured the Speed/Duplex part is set to 1GBs Full Duplex. "

Change to auto.

todd_everett

Commendable
Aug 23, 2017
On your PC ensure that only one network adapter is enabled. Either wired or wireless.

As I understand your post the desired connectivity is wired ethernet. Therefore the PC's wireless network adapter should be disabled.

And this:

" I've also ensured the Speed/Duplex part is set to 1GBs Full Duplex. "

Change to auto.

Swapped to Auto, and disabled the Wifi, no change to current situation. Any other ideas?

todd_everett

Commendable
Aug 23, 2017
Take a close look at the new house's installed wiring.

What is printed on the cable(s)?

The ethernet cable is Cat5e, the coax is standard 3000mhz I believe. I just tested my wife's desktop beside mine, she's getting 600-700Mbps, but i'm still getting 15. Obviously the issue is on my end, i just can't think of what else to try. It worked flawlessly in my last house ~5 days ago.

Ralston18

Titan
Not weird per se.

Likely some software bug, file corruption, or even some configuration issue. Especially if there were any software updates along the way....

The Windows reinstall simply put "things" back to normal.

Just for the record, there are other options that can tried before going the "full reinstall" route.

E.g., driver reinstalls: download directly from the applicable manufacturer, reinstall, and reconfigure.

Try the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Another option is to run "sfc /scannow" via the Command Prompt.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Along the same line is Windows DISM to repair and fix images.

Solution