[SOLVED] Ethernet Connection Slow (Cable Test)

max64751

Honorable
May 28, 2017
Saw that I had an orange LED next to my ethernet port on my computer, indicating a slow connection. I have tried switching cables and the same problem persists. I had a green LED on the router connection to the ethernet and a orange LED on the PC side with two different cables. So I assume this is a problem with my motherboard connection and was wondering if anyone knew other fixes to my problem other than getting a new mobo.

From the Intel PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility my cable test is as follows:
Cable Length Status : Passed
Cable Length: 0 meters
Cable polarity Status : Passed
Cable polarity normal.
Local Receiver Status : Passed
Passed
Remote Receiver Status : Passed
Passed
Cable Quality Status : Failed
Cable Quality is poor or no cable is connected. Possible causes: Faulty cable, faulty connector, or a speed/duplex mismatch. Verify that the speed/duplex setting on the switch/hub is configured for auto-negotiation.
Cable Integrity Status : Failed
The test detected a bad connection. Distance to problem: 65535 meters.

Solution
Be nice if the lights were consistent between equipment but they mean very little unless you have the manual to tell you what they mean.

There is almost nothing you can set on a ethernet port. You want to leave the setting on AUTO and make sure there are no options like power save enabled. You want to use default options if you can tell what they are.

In the status for the interface it should tell you the speed and maybe the duplex. The router may or may not have a screen but maybe you get lucky and the manual will tell you if it displays the speed.

Pretty much you need to hope this is a bad cable. You can try a different port on the router but that seldom is the problem. Your nic has more testing options than most and...
Be nice if the lights were consistent between equipment but they mean very little unless you have the manual to tell you what they mean.

There is almost nothing you can set on a ethernet port. You want to leave the setting on AUTO and make sure there are no options like power save enabled. You want to use default options if you can tell what they are.

In the status for the interface it should tell you the speed and maybe the duplex. The router may or may not have a screen but maybe you get lucky and the manual will tell you if it displays the speed.

Pretty much you need to hope this is a bad cable. You can try a different port on the router but that seldom is the problem. Your nic has more testing options than most and it show that it thinks the hardware is ok. It could be a bent wire in the jack but the driver thinks it is a bad cable also.

After you verify the options again you likely should buy a new cable. This is cheaper than any other option like adding a ethernet card. There is a massive amount of fake cable being sold. Make sure you buy a cat5e or better cable that is pure copper (no cca) and has wire size 22-24 ( no flat or thin cable)

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

max64751

Honorable
May 28, 2017
Well there's yer problem (kidding).

What board is it? Onboard NICs are common to fail over time. Did you also try a different switch/router port? Do you use self-terminated cables or prepackaged ones? I assume the cable negotiates gig on another device like a laptop.

its a MSI Z270 ARCTIC TOMAHAWK
and ya i use prepackaged ones

max64751

Honorable
May 28, 2017

Pretty much you need to hope this is a bad cable. You can try a different port on the router but that seldom is the problem. Your nic has more testing options than most and it show that it thinks the hardware is ok. It could be a bent wire in the jack but the driver thinks it is a bad cable also.

After you verify the options again you likely should buy a new cable. This is cheaper than any other option like adding a ethernet card. There is a massive amount of fake cable being sold. Make sure you buy a cat5e or better cable that is pure copper (no cca) and has wire size 22-24 ( no flat or thin cable)
are you sure this is the problem? Ive already tried using two different ethernet cables
the adapter is a 1 Gbps Full Duplex

TRENDING THREADS