[SOLVED] Ethernet connection spliter

dragonfly22588

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I recently got issued a laptop from work to use at home. It works best when I am connected to the Internet via Ethernet cable. My desktop currently is being connected this way and was wondering if I bought an Ethernet cable splitter like this https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Con...335092&sprefix=ethernet+split+,aps,229&sr=8-3

would I be able to connect to the Internet on the laptop and desktop without speed being dramatically affected? My Internet use would be pretty low on both machines while I'm working.

Solution
The type of adapter you linked is a 'hacky' way to run 2x 100Mbps ethernet connections over a single wire. I would not use this as you will need a switch with 2x ports to have 2 systems connected.

If you truly only need one system connected at a time, an a/b switch is cheap, but a switch which allows both to be run at the same time is the same price, so that is the real way to go.
I just didn't know what the difference is. Is the 2nd items you posted the standard option for something I'm trying to do?

Yes... but the difference is switch requires power.
Switches are how the world is connected....

Finland_data_center.jpg

You need 3 cables...
One from your router (internet connection)... to the switch... and 2 cables from the switch to the PC's... it doesn't matter which port is where.... they are self sufficient (in bigger switches matter, there are high speed ports, in your case it doesn't).

Last edited:
The type of adapter you linked is a 'hacky' way to run 2x 100Mbps ethernet connections over a single wire. I would not use this as you will need a switch with 2x ports to have 2 systems connected.

If you truly only need one system connected at a time, an a/b switch is cheap, but a switch which allows both to be run at the same time is the same price, so that is the real way to go.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS