[SOLVED] Ethernet connection to PC cuts out randomly

Mar 13, 2022
I bought a new computer from awdit about a month ago and since then its internet connection has been cutting out maybe 20 times a day.

It cuts out for about 5 seconds but that's enough to kick me from discord, my game and make me have to reload all my webpages. I have just ignored it until now because I was playing Apex Legends and I am able to very easily join back in 10 seconds. But I'm playing other games now where I'm unable to join back, the game ends when my wifi cuts out, so I actually want to fix it now. My PC can't connect to wifi and I have no other devices that I can test the ethernet cable on. Any suggestions? Should I buy a new cable and test it?

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
I bought a new computer from awdit about a month ago and since then its internet connection has been cutting out maybe 20 times a day.

It cuts out for about 5 seconds but that's enough to kick me from discord, my game and make me have to reload all my webpages. I have just ignored it until now because I was playing Apex Legends and I am able to very easily join back in 10 seconds. But I'm playing other games now where I'm unable to join back, the game ends when my wifi cuts out, so I actually want to fix it now. My PC can't connect to wifi and I have no other devices that I can test the ethernet cable on. Any suggestions? Should I buy a new cable and test it?

Yes, you should always buy a new 100% copper...
Did you go through the Control Panel Power Options to make sure everything is set to Maximum and Always On? Did you go through the Device Manager for all the internet related devices to make sure the Power Management option "Allow the computer to turn off this device" is UNchecked?

kanewolf

Titan

Yes, you should always buy a new 100% copper cat5e or cat6a cable. 99% of ethernet problems are bad cables, especially if you are using a flat, CCA, of fraudlently made (lots sold) cable.

Solution
Mar 13, 2022
Yes, you should always buy a new 100% copper cat5e or cat6a cable. 99% of ethernet problems are bad cables, especially if you are using a flat, CCA, of fraudlently made (lots sold) cable.

Hi, thanks for your response. Any chance you can recommend a cat6a cable because I don't know what flat or CCA mean and which ones are which. Thank you :)

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, thanks for your response. Any chance you can recommend a cat6a cable because I don't know what flat or CCA mean and which ones are which. Thank you :)
The monoprice cables on Amazon -- https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Flexboot-Cat5e-Ethernet-Patch/dp/B00KWS7GAC are 100% copper and 24 gauge wire. Those are what I use.
CCA -- is copper clad aluminum wire. Not 100% copper. It is cheaper than copper.

Is your ethernet cable directly connected to your router or is there something (powerline adapters, WIFI repeater, in-wall cable) between your PC and the router ?

First repair attempt would be to update the network drivers. Then depending on the network adapter type, If it were usb I would update the bios and the chipset drivers from the motherboard vendors website.

Second repair attempt would be to go to control panel and find the device and make sure that power management is not powering down the device or its port.

after that I would be looking at software causes of the problem, for example, are you running out of tcp connections? Hitting 300 second timeout limits?
ie run cmd.exe as an admin so you can run https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/netstat

maybe run
netstat.exe -a -b

after that I guess I would be looking at my router

TRENDING THREADS