Ethernet connection to Phone Jack and back to Ethernet?

Rankin McKechnie

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
Hi, I had an idea for a hardwired Internet connection as a replacement for my current Wi-Fi connection. Since I'll be moving my PC farther away from my modem, decreasing the signal, I want to somehow get a hardwired connection instead. My idea is to plug in an Ethernet cord into my modem, use an adapter to convert the connection to fit into a phone jack, and receive the signal from another Ethernet cable connected to the receiving phone jack closest to where I plan to relocate my computer. However, I do not know if this is possible.

I have looked into other options such as moving the modem, but the modem's only way to get a signal is through the one coax cable installed by my ISP. I also thought about using a powerline adapter, but from the benchmarks, I've noticed a significant drop in internet speed compared to Wi-Fi. So will my idea work? Thanks.

Solution

PsiReaper

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
Unfortunately it won't work. Phone lines that are ran throughout the home are terminated to a box on the side of a home. Some older homes have their wires ran from a utility pole. In addition most phone wiring are standard twisted pair which isn't rated to carry ethernet traffic. Your options are powerline, WiFi extender or have the ISP do another run. Sorry and good luck.

its kind of a yes and no answer. It all comes down to how the house is wired. If all your phone wires end up a one point in the house you could find the cables and unhook them from the phone system and splice the two cut ends together, basically making a patch cable between the two end points.

Note that phone line is not twisted pair and you may have interference or some packet lose. Phone line is also not ratted for high speeds/data transfer.

Coayuco

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015
I use powerline-ethernet bridges that basically use your home powerlines to hard-wire the network. There is one connecting the modem to a power outlet and another at the computer's location connecting it to a power outlet. I have 4 computers connected this way and it works flawlessly. You can move them to any room in the house as long as there is a power outlet nearby.

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

The only way to utilize the existing telephone wiring (without any sort of re-wiring) is to use a pair of bridges like this:
http://support.netgear.com/product/PE102
(This particular one discontinued but still available.)

These types of devices are hard to find through retailers, and performance depends on the wiring quality.

If your lucky and your house has good quality twisted pair telephone cable (like Cat5), you may be able to reconfigure the wiring to get Ethernet from the router to your PC.

You'll be better off running a new cable or using the powerline adapters.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS