[SOLVED] Ethernet connection to router doesn't ping to any other device or the router? (With internet)

Bobbii

Prominent
Jun 14, 2020
So this is a bit complicated to explain but this is something I simply can't solve. Essentially I had an old computer that I had in place of this new one that used the same ethernet cable that I am currently on. With my old PC I had no issues accessing my router settings with 192.168.0.1. I also did not have any problems creating servers that could reach any of my other standing desktops that are also connected via ethernet. But when I switched to this new computer, even though I have internet and I have access to any links and sites, I have no access to my router. It just says "This site can’t be reached". I was curious about this and further checked in the command console to see if I could ping my router and it would come back with nothing. I checked if I could ping my other computers that are connected via ethernet and no pings either. This is extremely confusing and frustrating. Is this a firewall issue? If so what do I need to change to or disable. I am not the most savvy with networking problems but I have basic knowledge. Please help me solve this problem!

Solution
Almost no consumer router has any ability to limit traffic between lan devices.

This makes no sense really. It is one of those things that is would be extremely hard to implement intentionally even using the firewall on your PC.

Use the ARP -a command. You will see the ip of the router and its mac address at a very minimum. Try to ping other pc in your house. Now look in the ARP -a table. It is almost impossible to block a ARP packet so even if it does not ping you likely will see a response to the ARP.

Maybe try to disable IPv6 and see what happens. If this breaks everything then there is some issue with the IPV4 addresses.
I would use the options to temporarily disable the firewall an see if it works.

It is very strange that you can not ping the router. Obviously you can send and receive traffic from the router since web pages work.

The firewall is too smart sometimes, it might have gotten set to public network which puts a lot of restrictions on.

Bobbii

Prominent
Jun 14, 2020
I would use the options to temporarily disable the firewall an see if it works.

It is very strange that you can not ping the router. Obviously you can send and receive traffic from the router since web pages work.

The firewall is too smart sometimes, it might have gotten set to public network which puts a lot of restrictions on.

So I have tried turning firewall off on my PC. That did nothing to solve it. Would I need to do that through my router?

This makes no sense really. It is one of those things that is would be extremely hard to implement intentionally even using the firewall on your PC.

Use the ARP -a command. You will see the ip of the router and its mac address at a very minimum. Try to ping other pc in your house. Now look in the ARP -a table. It is almost impossible to block a ARP packet so even if it does not ping you likely will see a response to the ARP.

Maybe try to disable IPv6 and see what happens. If this breaks everything then there is some issue with the IPV4 addresses.

Solution

Bobbii

Prominent
Jun 14, 2020

So I can ping the majority of the IP aside from the router. Would it help if I changed my IP from dynamic to static? It says my router and some of my devices are dynamic. I know generally dynamic is better but would that affect anything? And if so, how do I do that.

Not likely but I guess its worth a try. Static IP need to be outside the scope of the dhcp range on the router. If you just want to test you can like use x.x.x.250 or another high ip. The DHCP function gives them out from the bottom so it is unlikely to ever get to the higher addresses.

Be very sure you get the subnet mask correct.

Maybe just power cycle the router and you get lucky. From the sounds of it the only thing that does not work is your ability to manage the router from that PC. If you can manage it from other devices then you might be able to live with it.

Reactions: Bobbii