[SOLVED] Ethernet connection turning off ?

CaptainUselessMan

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
Hi.So for like 2 days I got a weird problem with my ethernet and my PC. I have enthernet via cable so I'm not using wifi and the ethernet cable is connected from my pc into a modem or something like that , and I can see if the ethernet is working or not. The problem is everytime I turn on my pc the ethernet disconnects , the light from the modem disappears and the light from the cable that is connected into my pc turns off as well.

But when my pc is not on, everything looks fine. I tried to look into my pc network drivers and things and in the device manager. The network adapter intel 85267lm-3 gigabit got an exclamation sign and it says failure code 10. Now I tried into searching the problem for this and I tried everything:

• Uninstall and reinstall the network drivers ,
  • reinstalling Windows,
  • windows recovery ,
  • disconnecting everything from my pc and hold the button 30 seconds and then wait 10 mins and boot again.
  • Disconnect and reconnect the cables from my modem and pc.

I dont know what to do anymore, when the pc is off the light from my network port from the back off my pc is on and looks normal , only when I turn the pc on is stop working. I have win 10 btw.

Solution
It is somewhat surprising that the cable is active when the machine is off. I assume if you unplug the machine then it is off. This means there is some bios setting having the port active. This is sometime used for things like wake on lan support.

I would try a new ethernet cable first. The machine is connecting at a lower speed when it is using things like wake on lan. Maybe the cable is bad and only barely functions at slower speeds.

You have already done everything software wise by reinstalling windows so after the ethernet cable you are left with a bad port. Luckily add in ethernet cards are pretty inexpensive. Internal pcie ones are best if you have room but USB3 ones are also available for about the same price...
It is somewhat surprising that the cable is active when the machine is off. I assume if you unplug the machine then it is off. This means there is some bios setting having the port active. This is sometime used for things like wake on lan support.

I would try a new ethernet cable first. The machine is connecting at a lower speed when it is using things like wake on lan. Maybe the cable is bad and only barely functions at slower speeds.

You have already done everything software wise by reinstalling windows so after the ethernet cable you are left with a bad port. Luckily add in ethernet cards are pretty inexpensive. Internal pcie ones are best if you have room but USB3 ones are also available for about the same price. Make sure you use USB3 if you need gigabit speeds.

Solution
Ok so a couple of things to try , somewhere in your settings it will have a tab that tells you how your pc is connecting to the internet , even though i am on ethernet the pc builder had set it up to run on wi-fi as the mobo has a build in wi-fi , because it was set for wi-fi but running ethernet my internet kept doing odd things.

Also , do you have a spare microfilter , if so swap the ones you are using one at a time because if you have a faulty one to can effect how things work.

CaptainUselessMan

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020

You have already done everything software wise by reinstalling windows so after the ethernet cable you are left with a bad port. Luckily add in ethernet cards are pretty inexpensive. Internal pcie ones are best if you have room but USB3 ones are also available for about the same price. Make sure you use USB3 if you need gigabit speeds.
Can you test somehow if the cable is working?Because I dont have another enthernet cable.

Not as a home user with normal tools you would find. The meters to test and certify cable cost many hundreds of not thousands of dollars.

Cables are pretty easy to get I would think even the grocery store sell them. Be sure to get quality cable though. You need cat5e or better if it is cheaper. Key is that cable must be pure copper (no CCA) and have wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables).