Question Ethernet connection

alltomorrows

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018
Hello,

Using a MacBook Pro with a Belkin USB Type-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter to transfer large files via WeTransfer. Also, I'm using it to connect to my PC, working on 4k video files, as a network drive, when I need to convert 4k video files that are on my Windows 10 PC into Apple Pro Res.

I was thinking, is this the best connection I could be using? What is the different between that, and using a 10gbps connection? Say, this: Sonnet Twin 10G Thunderbolt 3 to Dual-Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

I don't know enough about connections and networking to know the difference and what's going on there.

I would hope you are transfer the files directly between the machines and not using some cloud based thing because you are then limited by your internet speeds.

Gigabit should be more than good enough. It gets expensive very fast to go above gigabit speeds. In many cases it may not actually transfer any faster. The bottle neck quickly become the disk systems when you try to exceed 1gbit. You need to really look at the performance of the disk system on both ends of the transfer and see what limitations you will run into. To actually get 10gbit you most times need raid of SSD drives.

alltomorrows

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018
I would hope you are transfer the files directly between the machines and not using some cloud based thing because you are then limited by your internet speeds.

Gigabit should be more than good enough. It gets expensive very fast to go above gigabit speeds. In many cases it may not actually transfer any faster. The bottle neck quickly become the disk systems when you try to exceed 1gbit. You need to really look at the performance of the disk system on both ends of the transfer and see what limitations you will run into. To actually get 10gbit you most times need raid of SSD drives.

Thanks for your reply! Yes, directly between the machines. I have my PC with an M2 drive and also SSDs at RAID 0 because of the file sizes I have (think 4k, even sometimes 8k video) and compressing that down to HD after applying layers of VFX on them.

I want to learn how to assign a DHCP to the second ethernet cable of my PC and the ethernet cable of my Macbook, but that's a thread for another time, I think.

I don't know enough about connections and networking to know the difference and what's going on there.
Well if u understand 10 is better than 1, ur already half way there.

Of course a thunderbolt 10g is faster but u must take care of both ends, the box you are talking to also needs to be 10g, and not only that, if there is a router and/or switch in the middle those too need to be 10g capable.

So you are talking to some HDDs somewhere? todays mechanical drives tops out ~1500 mbit, but u can RAID configure, say using 8 identical HDD to write a byte simultaneously should speed things up. If u got the $$$, u can do it.

There are tons of utube videos people doing precisely what you are doing.

alltomorrows

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018
Well if u understand 10 is better than 1, ur already half way there.

Of course a thunderbolt 10g is faster but u must take care of both ends, the box you are talking to also needs to be 10g, and not only that, if there is a router and/or switch in the middle those too need to be 10g capable.

So you are talking to some HDDs somewhere? todays mechanical drives tops out ~1500 mbit, but u can RAID configure, say using 8 identical HDD to write a byte simultaneously should speed things up. If u got the $$$, u can do it.

There are tons of utube videos people doing precisely what you are doing.

Okay, so specifically, if I have an ethernet cable from my PC to my MacBook Pro, do I need some kind of ethernet 10 gbps device? Or can the two communicate at those speeds from my PC (Asus x99 WS-E) to the Macbook Pro (with Belkin ethernet adapter).