[SOLVED] Ethernet controller (Code 28)

CoffeeStoreGuy

Honorable
May 7, 2017
I just put in a new motherboard and cpu everything seems to be working great except the internet. I have an ethernet plugged in and it's not showing up or connecting to the internet, and it's not detecting any routers. I went into device manager and got the network adapters the ones listed are "WAN Miniport (IKEv2), WAN Miniport (IP), WAN Miniport (IPv6), WAN Miniport (L2TP), WAN Miniport (Network Monitor), WAN Miniport (PPPOE), WAN Miniport (PPTP), WAN Miniport (SSTP)" and that's all that shows. There are 6 devices in "Other devices" They have an orange icon beside them and if you go into the properties of the devices it says "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)" I can't find drivers for them and especially not the ethernet controller. The list for other devices is " Base System Device, Ethernet Controller, PCI Data Acquisition and Signal Processing Controller, PCI Device, PCI Simple Communications Controller, SM Bus Controller" and like I said literally everything else works fine it's just the internet. I've looked up a few videos, but those don't seem to work for me. Does anyone have a solution?

EDIT: A disc of drivers came with it, but I never used it because I don't have a optical drive. I don't know if the drivers are important or not, but I did find some drivers on the MSI website I'm downloading the network driver and hoping it works.

Motherboard: MSI - MPG Z390 Gaming Plus
Cpu: i5 8400
GPU: EVGA 1070ti
RAM: Corsai Vengeance LPX 3000Ghz 16gb
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/J7HWq4

Last edited:
Solution
The device drivers on MSI's website should be more recent than what is on the optical disc that came with the motherboard.

Alright I'm stupid. I downloaded the Network driver from the website and now my internet works, but everything else won't download for some reason. I think it's just the website is really slow, because I've downloaded the drivers for everything and everything downloaded super easily and fast. The progress bar for the download isn't even showing.

Lutfij

Titan
List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? The reason we need to know your specs is to see if something is amiss and if you're having driver related issues, that we can source a driver for you.

CoffeeStoreGuy

Honorable
May 7, 2017
List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? The reason we need to know your specs is to see if something is amiss and if you're having driver related issues, that we can source a driver for you.

Sorry, I fixed it now so you can see.

Motherboard: MSI - MPG Z390 Gaming Plus
Cpu: i5 8400
GPU: EVGA 1070ti
RAM: Corsai Vengeance LPX 3000Ghz 16gb
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/J7HWq4

CoffeeStoreGuy

Honorable
May 7, 2017
The device drivers on MSI's website should be more recent than what is on the optical disc that came with the motherboard.

Alright I'm stupid. I downloaded the Network driver from the website and now my internet works, but everything else won't download for some reason. I think it's just the website is really slow, because I've downloaded the drivers for everything and everything downloaded super easily and fast. The progress bar for the download isn't even showing.

Solution
The MSI Global website is really slow. Just by changing to the North American USA site the downloads are much quicker.