Ethernet cord not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinmaster

Honorable
Jun 25, 2015
Hello,

I have a Lenovo Y50 (purchased January 2015) running Windows 8.1, which until yesterday I used with an Ethernet cord despite having WiFi available. This morning I turned on my laptop and noticed it was using WiFi instead of my Ethernet connection. I made sure the connection was right on my laptop, made sure the connection was right in the router and even swapped out the port in the router it was in. I also tried using a different cord all together, nothing seems to be working. Whats interesting is that besides the laptop not detecting my Ethernet cord, nothing seems to be wrong - I've spent all day using my laptop, just with WiFi instead.

I've called Lenovo support and they think there may be something wrong with my motherboard, but before I send it in I thought I'd get a second opinion. I'm not sure if it helps, but last night there was a severe thunderstorm and the power went out for a couple minutes. At the time my laptop was turned off, though the charger and Ethernet cord were plugged in. I know it may sound weird (not much of a computer person) but is it possible that the power surge somehow traveled up my Ethernet cord and fried the port? I tried looking and it doesn't seem to be damaged as far I as I can tell, but I wanted to be sure.

Solution
This does seem like a defective ethernet port on the laptop. As that port is integrated into the motherboard, that would have to be replaced to fix the problem if the port is actually kaput.

It doesn't take much of an errant charge to cause such a problem. If under warranty, I would get fixed ASAP. If not under warranty, count your lucky stars and just continue with the wireless adapter.

Good luck!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This does seem like a defective ethernet port on the laptop. As that port is integrated into the motherboard, that would have to be replaced to fix the problem if the port is actually kaput.

It doesn't take much of an errant charge to cause such a problem. If under warranty, I would get fixed ASAP. If not under warranty, count your lucky stars and just continue with the wireless adapter.

Good luck!

Solution
I had a similar prob with this about a week ago (a desktop).

I dont know how, but the ethernet entry disappeared from device manager / network connections - Win 8.1).

I didnt know (that it wasnt there), until I was ready to connect it to the router to update the firmware on it.

But I fixed it by going into the BIOS and enabled AI Net 2 (an ASUS mobo). This tests the ethernet when you exit the BIOS

After I had done this the ethernet appeared in Windows again. And it's been fine since

I dont know if there's a similar option in the BIOS on yours. But thats what fixed mine

But I still have no idea why the ethernet disappeared on this in the first place

Chinmaster

Honorable
Jun 25, 2015

Sorry, I'm not very good with computers! I have the Device Manager open, but what "card" am I looking for exactly?

Chinmaster

Honorable
Jun 25, 2015

Wow, I didn't realize the port was so sensitive! Luckily my laptop is under a warranty so all will be well, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.