ethernet cord works on xbox but not on computer (windows 10)

Hobo_On_Welfare

Reputable
Jan 4, 2017
I was using my computer normally with this ethernet cord for a long time. I got an xbox and decided to use the ethernet cord from my computer on it. I unplugged it and it worked fine on the xbox but when i went to plug it back in the computer it wont recognize it. When its plugged in it acts like nothing is plugged in. My motherboard is a gigabyte 970a-ds3p. Ive tried restarting the router ive tried using different ports on the router, nothing worked.

Solution
They look okay, as best I can tell. Try moving the PC to the room the router is in and use a different cable to connect to the router. You could be chasing a defective on-board network adapter. They can and do die.

Hobo_On_Welfare

Reputable
Jan 4, 2017

The ethernet cord runs through the wall because the router is a floor up. I tried clearing any debris I saw but it still isn't working

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It could be an issue where the pins inside the ethernet port on the PC are depressed (pushed down) to where they aren't making good contact with the connector surfaces. You can use a non-metallic object to pry them upward, ever so slightly, to see if that helps. Be sure to remove all power sources from the PC before attempting.

You can also disable the on-board ethernet adapter and install a cheap PCIe network adapter.

Hobo_On_Welfare

Reputable
Jan 4, 2017

I took a pic of it heres the link

https://imgur.com/UGD9EXV

Do those pins look normal to you? I really don't know. They kinda look bent

COLGeek

Cybernaut
They look okay, as best I can tell. Try moving the PC to the room the router is in and use a different cable to connect to the router. You could be chasing a defective on-board network adapter. They can and do die.

Solution