[SOLVED] Ethernet cutting out frequently

Mar 8, 2021
Initially my internet was cutting out completely (would just shut off) for just a second randomly. Sometimes it would happen in bursts, sometimes it would only happen once. So I replaced the modem (It's just Comcast's default modem) and replaced the cable leading to the house. Upon doing that it weirdly both fixed the problem and didn't. I'm unsure if this is the same problem in a different form or a separate issue.

I'm a live streamer, and I would not have noticed this if I was not. Randomly my internet will (based on the task manager statistic) go from the normal 20-30 mbps upload all the way down to 100 kbps and then shoot back up. Within one hour I dropped ~25,000 frames. And then randomly around 12:30-1 AM EST it'll just stop and be completely stable for the rest of the evening. So I don't know if it's caused by the increased activity or if it's just focused around that timeframe. I'm partial to think it's the timeframe (11 PM-1AM EST) as I have started streaming at different times with no issue. I have been streaming for upward of two years on this exact setup with no issue.

The way my setup works is: Modem connected to external power supply connected to PC. I have replaced the modem (and the cable leading to the house), I have replaced the shorter ethernet cable, and I have plugged the longer ethernet cable directly into my PC eliminating the external power supply from the equation.
I have also refreshed my IP, and flushed DNS.

I am willing to try literally anything.

Now I will answer every "DO" in g-unit's post.
  • The router/modem is just the default one Comcast gives you, I don't know it's exact name.
  • These are my specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Insayno/saved/BQqsZL + Windows 10
  • I have many devices, I think 9, but again it's never been an issue before.
  • I have not received any error messages.
  • I don't use any switches?
  • My PC is the only one with a wired connection to the modem.
  • No server is connected but TBH I don't know what NAS is.
  • I believe comcast's modem is both a router and modem.
  • I am using the motherboard LAN connection but I am willing to get an adapter if that is the issue, but as I've had this system for years and nothing has changed I don't see how it could be. Who knows, technology is weird.

Please help. 😓

Solution
Device Manager -> Network Adapters -> Your ethernet driver -> Properties -> Advanced -> Disable Green ethernet, Energy Efficient ethernet and Power Saving mode.
See if that helps
Could not find "Green Ethernet", but energy efficient and the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" are off. System Idle Power Saver and Ultra-Low Power Modes are also off.
Mar 8, 2021
Device Manager -> Network Adapters -> Your ethernet driver -> Properties -> Advanced -> Disable Green ethernet, Energy Efficient ethernet and Power Saving mode.
See if that helps
Could not find "Green Ethernet", but energy efficient and the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" are off. System Idle Power Saver and Ultra-Low Power Modes are also off.

Solution
You have to do some more careful testing to be really sure if it is time of day related. Could be something like a backup running or maybe the ISP doing something.

I would try the standard let a constant ping run to your router IP in a background window. See if you have any packet loss or very large spikes in the latency when you are seeing issues. Problems here indicate a issue with your PC or the router.

You can also try ping a common IP on the internet like 8.8.8.8. If you have actual internet issues it should show up here also.

Mar 8, 2021
You have to do some more careful testing to be really sure if it is time of day related. Could be something like a backup running or maybe the ISP doing something.

I would try the standard let a constant ping run to your router IP in a background window. See if you have any packet loss or very large spikes in the latency when you are seeing issues. Problems here indicate a issue with your PC or the router.

You can also try ping a common IP on the internet like 8.8.8.8. If you have actual internet issues it should show up here also.
How do I do that? Just command console: ping 8.8.8.8 -t?

Also what am I even looking for while this is running? I'm pretty tech savvy but when it comes to networking stuff I know basically nothing.

This is one of those things unless you actually try it you will never really know how to use it. It will not take long to tell the difference between what would be normal and what it looks like when it is broken. It tends to be very obvious it is not some small variations in the latency. It take quite a bit of packet loss or massive delays for you to be able to detect it in a application.

Mar 8, 2021
This is one of those things unless you actually try it you will never really know how to use it. It will not take long to tell the difference between what would be normal and what it looks like when it is broken. It tends to be very obvious it is not some small variations in the latency. It take quite a bit of packet loss or massive delays for you to be able to detect it in a application.
I've been running it since 5:30 now and I have seen nothing out of the ordinary.

What you need to do is make sure it is running when you are detecting the problem of what you call ethernet cutting out.

If you do not get ping loss or delays then the outage likely is not a actual network outage. It could be something in the application getting hung or some other internal pc related issue.

Mar 8, 2021
Okay, weirdly it didn't happen tonight despite it happening consistently every evening. I changed nothing. I will mark this is as solved if it stays fixed for the next few days. Suggestions still appreciated.

Mar 8, 2021
do you have the same issues outside of your pc?

also a "NAS" is a Network Attached Storage - basically/typically this is a raid connected to the network, sort of an external hardrive that you can access via the network
Initially, I thought it was on other devices as well, but now it is clear that it is not and that was just a fluke. So no, it is specifically my PC, or at least the only place I'm noticing it because streamer.

I have no external storage, no. Nor do I have a server or anything like that. Simply an external power supply, a PC, and other simple devices.

Last edited by a moderator: