Question Ethernet dead after overclock attempt?

wiz4rd

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
So last night I was attempting to overclock my GPU, and was following a guide which recommended to overclock ram speeds as well so I did. Ran Unigene Heaven in the background while slowly increasing my GPU memory clock speeds by 25MHz each time. I was looking for anything that looked amiss before increasing the speed, but nothing was up all the way until 2200MHz (base 2000MHz) where my screen just crashed to black. Unable to do anything I forcefully shut down my computer and restarted it.

Here comes the problem: Ever since then I have been unable to connect to the internet, and troubleshooting tells me "Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings". Since then I have tried every solution I could find on the internet pertaining to this issue short of resetting my computer entirely.

Before I go around doing that I just wanted to see if anyone here might be able to help me possibly fix this issue without a full restore.

Edit: Tried turning on a free VPN service I had lying around and I managed to access the internet, problem now being that it's free and I have no data left. Also I don't think this is a viable long term solution.

Edit 2: Solution for being unable to access internet without VPN was to manually set a DNS server. Using the one that was given in the first result of Google worked, which is weird because I tried Google's DNS before and had no success.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that the crash corrupted some file(s).

Windows 10? Run "sfc /scannow" without quotes via the command prompt. May find and fix something.

If not, try running the built-in Windows 10 troubleshooters. They may likewise find and fix something.