Question Ethernet disconnects after restarting Windows or PC being idle ?

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Hello everyone. I hope i can get some help since i switched to fiber recently and i have issues. I also switched to Windows 11 although something tells me this is a modem issue. After i am idle for a while the Ethernet status just switches to "Not connected". It also happens when i restart the PC. When i had DSL i didn't have this issue. The only things that changed were the fiber/ new modem connection and the upgrade to Windows 11. Same PC. The modem is a Nokia G-2425G-B. Any help would be great.

If it doesn't work on wifi also then I would start to suspect a problem with the modem. You need to do some careful testing best if you have another device to see if both devices see the failure at the same time.

If you do IPCONFIG /all you see the port is in disconnected status ?

When a port is disconnected it is the same as if someone unplugged the cable. It tends to always be a hardware issue. The most common is a bad ethernet cable. Cables can have issue as they get slightly warm or cooler so you can get random failures.
What do you do to fix this or does it just start working again by itself.

Note if you get failures on a different device and/or on wifi then it is more likely some issue with modem. There might be logs in the modem but I am unsure since I have never used that brand of equipment.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
I would also go into the power management tab in your ethernet and network adapter properties within device manager and make sure "allow this device to be turned off to save power" option is unchecked. This resolved this issue for me anyway.

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
I would also go into the power management tab in your ethernet and network adapter properties within device manager and make sure "allow this device to be turned off to save power" option is unchecked. This resolved this issue for me anyway.
Ahh man, seemed like a good try but it dint work.

If it doesn't work on wifi also then I would start to suspect a problem with the modem. You need to do some careful testing best if you have another device to see if both devices see the failure at the same time.

If you do IPCONFIG /all you see the port is in disconnected status ?

When a port is disconnected it is the same as if someone unplugged the cable. It tends to always be a hardware issue. The most common is a bad ethernet cable. Cables can have issue as they get slightly warm or cooler so you can get random failures.

Note if you get failures on a different device and/or on wifi then it is more likely some issue with modem. There might be logs in the modem but I am unsure since I have never used that brand of equipment.

Another device will be hard to get here. Let me check the IPConfig . I can try changing the ethernet cable but it seems like a windows or modem issue. I also need to verify again that the Wifi is not working aswell since i tested it with my phone.

Well just like i mentioned, it happens when i restart or i go AFK. When i restart i just turn off and on the modem and it keeps working.

Last edited by a moderator:

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
@bill001g Some interesting outcomes from the tests you suggested.

1. IPConfig shows the same info before/working and after restarting/ not working. I have the WiFi adapters disabled in Windows and they show as media disconnected, this is normal but the ethernet adapter shows as the realtek adapter with all the info, i assume this means is connected.
  2. I re-verified the modem lights and they stay the same.
Third and this is very interesting. i went into the modem settings to check things out. I logged in and the menu is not loading at all, i reentered the modem address and now it wont load anything. Turned off and on again the modem, it lets me log but after the second try it just keep loading forever without showing anything.

Also, i was thinking can it be a motherboard issue?

That sounds like the modem is defective in some way. Maybe just a firmware update if you are lucky but I don't know if that is something you can do or if it locked down by the ISP. Cables modems and most fiber boxes you can not update yourself but I have seen people that live in india say that they can so it seems to vary depending on where you live.

You pc is not doing very much it is running a web browser and if that has some issue you would see similar issues on the internet. I am betting the modem is getting hung for some reason. Maybe try to see if the ISP has any way to tell. Most have a way to monitor and log into these devices remotely. Many times they send log messages back to the ISP also.

Reactions: preguntonontrack

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
That sounds like the modem is defective in some way. Maybe just a firmware update if you are lucky but I don't know if that is something you can do or if it locked down by the ISP. Cables modems and most fiber boxes you can not update yourself but I have seen people that live in india say that they can so it seems to vary depending on where you live.

You pc is not doing very much it is running a web browser and if that has some issue you would see similar issues on the internet. I am betting the modem is getting hung for some reason. Maybe try to see if the ISP has any way to tell. Most have a way to monitor and log into these devices remotely. Many times they send log messages back to the ISP also.

Yeah i thought so too. I will leave the post unsolved just in case its something else or a Windows 11 issue. Thanks I appreciate if anyone shares and knows exactly what is happening.

TRENDING THREADS