Question Ethernet disconnects for a few seconds then reconnects ?

Gokhannn

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Hello
There is a problem with my ethernet connection it disconnect randomly ever 10-15 minutes for few seconds then reconnects i tried 2 diffrent cables so i dont think problem is cable there is someone else using ethernet from same router and they are not having problem and problem only happens with me when i connect using cable, wifi is fine
Im using dell inspiron 3542 windows 10

Does it actually go to a disconnect state or does it just not function. If you do ipconfig /all does it show disconnected.

If it is a disconnect it almost has to be a hardware issue. You pretty much have 2 options. A bad port in the machine or a bad cable. Bad cables are much more common and cheaper to fix. You can many times have multiple bad cables that can work on some machines but not others. This is even more true if you purchased fake ethernet cables, those flat cables you see all fail to meet the standards for minimum wire size.

If you are really sure your cables are good that leaves a bad port and you either get a add in pcie card or a usb3 device

Gokhannn

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Does it actually go to a disconnect state or does it just not function. If you do ipconfig /all does it show disconnected.

If it is a disconnect it almost has to be a hardware issue. You pretty much have 2 options. A bad port in the machine or a bad cable. Bad cables are much more common and cheaper to fix. You can many times have multiple bad cables that can work on some machines but not others. This is even more true if you purchased fake ethernet cables, those flat cables you see all fail to meet the standards for minimum wire size.

If you are really sure your cables are good that leaves a bad port and you either get a add in pcie card or a usb3 device
it only disconnects for second, im not sure if i can do that that fast but i saw that in event viewer it says "Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller is disconnected from network." id1 and the one on photo it does everytime it disconnects

That is a physical disconnect. This is not something that is done at a software level it is something the chips do by detecting voltage levels. Pretty much the only thing you can override is to force it to run 100mbps rather that gigabit.

If you are sure your cables are good then your only option is to replace the port, you can not fix a bad port on a motherboard.

If you have open slots a PCIE ethernet card is going to be your best option. You can consider USB based devices but make sure you get USB3

Gokhannn

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
That is a physical disconnect. This is not something that is done at a software level it is something the chips do by detecting voltage levels. Pretty much the only thing you can override is to force it to run 100mbps rather that gigabit.

If you are sure your cables are good then your only option is to replace the port, you can not fix a bad port on a motherboard.

If you have open slots a PCIE ethernet card is going to be your best option. You can consider USB based devices but make sure you get USB3
I think that was my bad there was a 1 more energy saving option in advanced settings i turn it off and it seems like working didnt disconnect for last 2 hours thanks to all of you

The option on this junk should be to have it disabled and if someone is really concerned about the 1cent worth of electricity it saves in the lifetime of the laptop they can turn it on

This causes so many problems I am somewhat surprised it is shipped with it turned on. It likely is some political thing rather than technical.

Aug 13, 2022
Ok, I was wondering if it went to a jack int he wall.

Try bringing up the Ethernet adapter properties in Device manager and disabling Energy Efficiency/ Green anything & Wake on Magic packet.

This actually saved my internet connection, I haven't had any issues since I changed those settings, thank you!

TRENDING THREADS