Ethernet displaying "Unidentified network. No internet access."

Nov 5, 2014
When I run the network troubleshooter it says that Ethernet does not have a valid IP configuration. I can still connect to the internet since I still have wifi but I would like ethernet to work again. It randomly stopped a week ago.

Ethernet specs:
Manufacturer: Intel
Description: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V
Driver version: 12.11.96.1
Physical address: ‎54-A0-50-D6-32-2E

When I try updating my driver it says that windows determined that this is the latest driver, so I assume it is even though the numbers dont match to here:
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_V_EXTREME/HelpDesk_Download/

There's a service called DHCP which provides clients (like your computer) with IP addresses when the connect to a new network. These addresses are what computers use to communicate with each other.

For just about every home network, the router is running a DHCP server which means when any computer connects to it (over either an Ethernet cable or Wifi - it doesn't matter), the router provides them with an IP address and the key IP addresses they need to function properly on your particular network.

The error you're getting means that for whatever reason, your computer is not being provided with an IP address by your router when it's connected.

Two possibilities:
1) Your router has for some unknown reason decided to stop providing IP addresses to the computer. Have you tried just powering off the router and back on again... amazing how often this fixes strange little quirks like this.

2) It's possible your computer is not requesting an IP address. You can set network cards to use a static IP address. If #1 doesn't work, you need to make sure your ethernet adapter is set to "obtain IP address automatically". See these instructions: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001048.htm

There's a good chance one of the above will fix your issue but if no, post back because there are other things you can try.

Nov 5, 2014

So far nothing, I have windows update errors so that could be the problem?