Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration after updating

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightinnNoir

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
So I updated to Windows 10 yesterday and after a few quirks I got it to running as normal, or so I thought. I use an Ethernet cable to connect to the Internet but all I get when I diagnose is "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration". It used to work fine before updating by the way. This is what I've tried

• Restarted the computer
    Turned off the computer, waited a few hours, then turned it on again
    Unchecked IPv6
    Re-installed the LAN driver
    Tried a different ethernet cable
    Tried to follow the tutorial on this website for Windows 8 for this issue but when I type ipconfig /release, it tells me that "an error occurred: an address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint"

Another funny thing I've noticed, when I enable the Ethernet connection, my computer skyrockets to exceedingly high temperatures (over 99C according to the monitor I have). When I disable it or disconnect it it goes back down to normal. Not exactly sure why this is happening.

Any help would be much appreciated, I know this type of question has been posted tons of times before but I've been spending my entire morning reading them and nothing has worked :(.

EDIT: played around with it some more. Looks like the temperature only rises when I check IPv6

Solution
Install the latest Windows 10-compatible drivers for your network adapter. Carrying over the drivers from Windows 8 often causes problems. As for your CPU temperature skyrocketing to 99C, that should have caused a thermal trip shutdown, so I am wondering if it's some unrelated malfunction.

Slashgeek

Admirable
Install the latest Windows 10-compatible drivers for your network adapter. Carrying over the drivers from Windows 8 often causes problems. As for your CPU temperature skyrocketing to 99C, that should have caused a thermal trip shutdown, so I am wondering if it's some unrelated malfunction.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.