"'Ethernet' doesn't have a valid ip configuration"

May 10, 2018
Hi, When I started my computer this morning, It would not connect to the internet. I have an ethernet cable running through a powerline adapter going to my router. I have tried ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew, netsh winsock /reset, I have updated the ethernet driver, restarting my computer, restarting my router, and even setting ip / dns manually. I cannot even access the router page, so it seems unable to connect to the router. I have also reset the powerline adapter connection. I am able to connect to the wifi via the computer and via other devices, such as my phone. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit:
This connection has worked in the past just not today, so not a new connection setup.

Edit:

DO:

- Provide us with the make and model of your laptop (if applicable) - N/A
- Provide us with the make and model of your router - TP-Link WDR3500
- Provide us with the make and model of your modem - N/A
- Provide us with the exact specifications of your PC (if applicable) including:

- Make and model of motherboard - Asus prime B350 plus
- Make and model of power supply - Corsair CX600
- Make and model of USB or PCI Wifi adapter - N/A (motherboard ethernet port)
- Operating system and driver version - Windows 10 (10.0.17134 build 17134) / Realtek (10.10.714.2016) (updated via windows auto search)

- You will also need to post your ISP and connection type*. - Digipath
- You will also need to post the exact number of devices connected to your router (this includes tablets, smart phones, laptops, and desktop PCs) as some routers can only handle a specific number of devices at a time. - not exactly sure, but not enough for this to be a problem
- Post any and all error messages you are getting from your ISP or Windows itself - "'Ethernet' doesn't have a valid ip configuration" also 404 when attempting to connect to router via browser

***WIRED LAN CONNECTION ONLY***

If you are operating on a wired connection as opposed to wireless these items will also need to be provided:

- Make and model of switches and how many ports are on each switch - N/A
- How many PCs and laptops are connected to the network - ~1-2 (wired) (+ 4 phones / mobile devices at peak usage) (wireless) (most likely not the problem, router has handled this amount and even more without any issues in that past)
- Whether or not a NAS (Network Attached Storage) or regular server is connected to the network - No
- Whether or not a Wifi router is connected to the network and/or switch - Only a router
- If you are using the internal LAN connection on your motherboard, a USB dongle, or external PCI card - Motherboard Ethernet port

Solution
I would suggest purchasing a Cat 6 ethernet cable to run the distance to your router. You can use this to test the power-ine connection. And also for when it is down. The power-line connection is probably the cause of your disruption. ?But the cable allows you to troubleshoot the problem. It could be a router or nic card problem as well.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=ethernet+cable&ignorear=1&N=100+50069098%20100158116%2050069098%20600026276%20100%20600026303&isNodeId=1
I would suggest purchasing a Cat 6 ethernet cable to run the distance to your router. You can use this to test the power-ine connection. And also for when it is down. The power-line connection is probably the cause of your disruption. ?But the cable allows you to troubleshoot the problem. It could be a router or nic card problem as well.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=ethernet+cable&ignorear=1&N=100+50069098%20100158116%2050069098%20600026276%20100%20600026303&isNodeId=1

Solution
May 10, 2018

-------Solution
Just checked the powerline adapter again, and you are indeed correct. Someone had moved the sending one to a different power outlet. This was causing them to not connect.

------Extended Comment Below
"I would suggest purchasing a Cat 6 ethernet cable to run the distance to your router." The reason for the powerline adapters is that my computer is on the second floor and the router is on the first floor and on completely opposite sides of the house, so it would have to be a very long cable. For the most part the powerline connectors work perfectly. Only issue I have ran into (besides this) is that they like to disconnect occasionally (<= once a day) and that can be solved by just unplugging and replugging.

That's true but a 100' Cat 6 cable is in the range of $20 .