Question Ethernet download speed slows down until reboot of PC or re initialization of the connexion

oren64

Honorable
Oct 5, 2016
Hi everyone,

I have a PC with Windows 10 Pro 64 bits and I've had this problem for the past month, it started suddenly. I have around 60Mbps download / upload, but over time it gradually goes down (I once waited a day, couldn't load any website anymore, so goes down to 0), while the upload always stays at the same speed.

It says slow until I either reboot my computer, or just reinitialize the ethernet connexion.

I tried quite a lot of things suggested over a few forums (reinstall drivers, clear dns cache, release and refesh NetBIOS names, reset ip settings, Reset Winsock Catalog, disable other network connexions)...

I checked driverscloud.com to make sure I had the most recent drivers.
I want to avoid having to completely reinstall Windows and all my programs and games if possible...

Just FYI, this doesn't happen on other computers connected to the same network...

Any help appreciated :)

EDIT:

Operating System: Windows 10 Professionnel 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
BIOS: 0906 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16314MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Motherboard: ASUSTeK STRIX Z270G Gaming

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Use Device Manager to identify your network adapter and go to the network adapter's manufacturer's website to find and download the applicable drivers.

Reinstall and reconfigure for your network.

Failing any permanent solution thereafter, use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to determine what is using/consuming computer resources.

Open either one (not both at the same time), leave the window open but drag to one side. Just work as usual and watch for bottlenecks.

oren64

Honorable
Oct 5, 2016
Thanks for your answers, I updated the main post with system specs!

I already tried to reinstall the network, the task manager doesn't show anything special: no weird CPU / Ram usage, network usage stays at 0 if I don't anything, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.
I tried rebooting the router, just like when I reboot / reinit my network, it comes back to normal then start going down again.

I updated the drivers to the last version using Intel website instead of driverscloud, and as suggested on another forum, I disabled Hyper-V in Windows features (I use it for work).

I'll see if this changes anything.

oren64

Honorable
Oct 5, 2016
Hi again,

The problem's still happening after trying different updates / uninstalling some softwares / disabling antivirus...
I did this screenshot today, as you can see the drop is not linear, it doesn't always happen in one go (even though here after 3 mins I lost half of the speed, doing nothing). sometimes it takes longer than that, sometimes after 10 mins I have to disable / enable my ethernet connexion to make it go back to full speed.

BdQo892.png

I checked that I have no process using ethernet (task manager shows no usage in bandwidth, and nothing unusual in terms of RAM/CPU/HDD usage, everything stays low).

Unless anyone has any suggestion I guess I'll have to reinstall Windows and see if it changes something... 😢