[SOLVED] Ethernet Dropping Randomly?

Mar 30, 2020
My wired internet connection keeps dropping out of the blue, it'll work until the next time I turn on my PC. It won't ever drop mid use that i've seen but i'll turn on my PC and have no connection, Windows will say its identifying but nothing will come out of it. My girlfriends PC however will never lose connection. I'm thinking its a faulty female termination on my wall plate however the fact it hasn't disconnected me while using it make me skeptical. Our internet is setup by fibre into the modem, patch cable from moden to TPLINK Archer c8 Router. Then 2 patch cables from router to unloaded patch panel which then go to our wall outlets then patch cables to TPLINK switches and the to our devices. and when my desktop internet is down no other devices connected to switch work either.

Things i've tried

-reset network settings on windows
-re-termination unloaded patch panel on the router side
-swapped out patch cables
-direct wall to device
-different router
-usb - ethernet adapter
-driver updates
-router reset
-Having a switch connected to the modem and then 3 patch cables to router, and patch panel

Also some information to add I logged onto the routers settings and saw that it only thinks 1 hardwired device is connected even though both of our PC's were connected to the network and NOT on WIFI.

Any help is appreciated! Also I havent tried re-terminating the female jack yet because I dont have the proper tool for it yet and money is tight til I get COVID-19 compensation

Solution
I would try shutting off your pc and then starting it up cold. Make sure you have the issue. Shutdown completely and turn off again.

Get a linux live cd and boot up and see if you have proper access. If you do, shutdown again and turn off. And then boot up again to the linux live cd. If you have access again, then it's definitely a network issue.

Ralston18

Titan
On both PC's ensure that only the wired adapter is enabled. Any wireless adapters should be disabled.

How many devices do you have? Any static IPs? A duplicate IP address is a possibility.

By "direct wall to device" you mean that you bypassed the TPLink switches and went directly to the PC's - correct?

Try running the "ping" and "tracert" commands from each PC targeting your router. Just one PC at a time.

The test results may reveal if there is a connectivity problem between PC(s) and the router.

Also you may be able to get by without purchasing an expensive punch tool.

Just inspect the wall jack punchdowns wires. You may be able to secure a loose wire with a small screwdriver and or fine needlenose pliers. Especially if a wire is obviously out of place but not fully disconnected.

Are you able to sketch out a simple diagram of your network's devices and connections. Does not need to be a work of art per se. Just clear enough to show devices and connections.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

I would try shutting off your pc and then starting it up cold. Make sure you have the issue. Shutdown completely and turn off again.

Get a linux live cd and boot up and see if you have proper access. If you do, shutdown again and turn off. And then boot up again to the linux live cd. If you have access again, then it's definitely a network issue.

Solution