Question Ethernet dropping to 0Kbps after Windows Reinstall

Jan 13, 2023
Hello, I recently did a clean install of Windows on my PC. After doing this, my ethernet is consistency dropping to 0Kbps and fluctuating heavily. I never had this issue before. I have unplugged the router, tried updating my drivers, and have tried a different cable. I am not familiar with networking so I'm not sure what to try next. I have gigabit internet speed. I have two roommates who are not experiencing any of this. Any help would be appreciated.
Here is my ethernet graphed: Graph
Here is my ipconfig:

Windows IP Configuration

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-6C3RI81
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : myfiosgateway.com

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : myfiosgateway.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 70-85-C2-D1-4B-65
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.6(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, January 13, 2023 4:13:07 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, January 14, 2023 4:53:37 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Jan 13, 2023
was there a reason for the reinstall?
I was experiencing some freezing on my system. I opened my PC and did some cleaning and then did a reinstall. The freezing issue has been a lot better as the cleaning was long overdue and I had a lot of junk on my system. Since then I’ve been having the internet issue which I didn’t have before the reinstall.

DaddyK

Distinguished
May 17, 2015
Seeing that you have FIOS leads me to believe that it is a DNS server/DHCP server issue...likely using G3100 or near router. These routers have internal DHCP software errors which need to be patched by the ISP.

Try flushing your DNS client resolver cache and restarting the dnscache service and dhcp service on Windows.

You could also go into your router settings and attempt to configure the Advanced DHCP and DNS settings into a configuration that works well with Windows. It lacks even the most basic of configuration so be warned.

The quickest solution at the moment is to manually set the DNS server in Windows, avoiding use of the local server. Many people set it to Google’s 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Any DNS server will do. If you want to, search around for free privacy respected DNS servers. A possibility of why it’s occurring now, after a fresh install is the rebuilding of DNS cache.

To change DNS server:
Press Win+R
Type ncpa.cpl and hit ok
Right click on Ethernet (or the relevant adapter, Ethernet in your case)
Hit properties
Hit IPV4 and properties
Right click on "Use the following DNS server..."
Preferred DNS Server: 8.8.8.8
Alternate DNS server: 8.8.4.4
Hit ok

Last edited: