Question Ethernet drops, multiple cords.

TomatoThomas

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
Hello everyone. I am experiencing an odd issue.

My ethernet connection will drop for a few minutes at a time. I have tried three different cords and yet it still drops occasionally, about twice a day. I cannot find ANY pattern in when or why it drops.

When it goes out, it takes about 60 seconds before Windows says the connection is dropped. But I know it drops when stuff stops loading. Then it switches to my USB wireless connection. Then that works until the Ethernet connection comes back up. But it still will disconnect me from my game, my call, or whatever website I am on, losing my data. A few times, stuff will stop loading so I unplug the cord before windows realizes it stopped, and switches to wireless almost seamlessly.

What baffles me is that this has happened over three different cords. One old, one a cheap Chinese one from online, and another that has proved to function correctly from work.

I have been unable to see if this issue is on multiple devices, since I am the only one who uses the Ethernet.

I can see my Router and Modem, and they do not lose connection or go down during this. They aren't the best but I get 50 MB/s throughout.

Does the port go down like you get a red x thing or do you get something else. I suspect it is not since that is what you see when you unplug the cable and that seems to fix ? it.

Look at the IPCONFIG /all screen and see what is different between when it is working and when it is broken. My outright guess is DHCP address renewal is not working. You could just blindly try setting a static ip on the ethernet nic and see if it hides the problem.

TomatoThomas

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
Does the port go down like you get a red x thing or do you get something else. I suspect it is not since that is what you see when you unplug the cable and that seems to fix ? it.

Look at the IPCONFIG /all screen and see what is different between when it is working and when it is broken. My outright guess is DHCP address renewal is not working. You could just blindly try setting a static ip on the ethernet nic and see if it hides the problem.

What will happen is the little Ethernet connection icon in the systray will just switch to the wireless after 60 seconds, then eventually switch back. Next time it fails I will do so.
Isn't a static ip a dangerous/risky thing to do if my ip is found?

Jul 8, 2019
Try a different port on the router. You might have a failing switch port. If that is not it, then try a different Ethernet NIC. If that STILL does not fix it, then the wired portion of the router might be failing altogether.

TomatoThomas

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
Try a different port on the router. You might have a failing switch port. If that is not it, then try a different Ethernet NIC. If that STILL does not fix it, then the wired portion of the router might be failing altogether.

This does not work, I switched all devices on Ethernet and still drop. My brother has been playing on a new Xbox One and played for four hours, didn't drop. While I dropped twice. So it is either my NIC or something with my settings on the router. Could I have malware?

TomatoThomas

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
The static ip is only on your internal network the wan ip you likely can not even set to a static if you wanted to. All the internal IP appear as the single WAN ip that your ISP gives you.

This does not work, I switched all devices on Ethernet and still drop. My brother has been playing on a new Xbox One and played for four hours, didn't drop. While I dropped twice. So it is either my NIC or something with my settings on the router. How would I go about setting a static ip? I see tutorials that explain how, but I do not know how to figure out what IP "corresponds" with my router and network.

You just configure the IP in the IPv4 setting on the nic and it is considered static. You need to be somewhat careful that your router does not attempt to give out the same ip to someone else. You can look at your DHCP configuration to find what range the router uses but generally you could use a high number ip like x.x.x.250

TomatoThomas

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
You just configure the IP in the IPv4 setting on the nic and it is considered static. You need to be somewhat careful that your router does not attempt to give out the same ip to someone else. You can look at your DHCP configuration to find what range the router uses but generally you could use a high number ip like x.x.x.250

When browsing for this, I noticed the lease time was set to "Other" and there was no way to clarify. I set it to 24 hours and hopefully that will fix. I will set a static IP as well. Thank you.

TomatoThomas

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
This is still a persistent issue. I have set the DHCP to any other thing, and it sets back to "Other". This issue persists and I cannot figure it out, I am at my wits end. My ISP says they do not know what to do and I might ask for them to reset my entire network, if that will help. Can this be malware?