Question Ethernet from router (repeater) stops working after some time

Apr 24, 2020
Hello! I have a repeater router on my second floor that works relatively fine when on WiFi. However, when I connect my PC to the router via its Ethernet cable port, it suddenly stops working after a few days (as if it gets overflown or something...). What could be the problem?

Ralston18

Titan
Do you move your PC between the repeater router and the other router on the other floor?

Does it actually start working again after a few days?

Or what do you do to get it working again?

When you switch your PC between wireless and wired do you disable the unused network adapter?

Only one network adapter should be enabled - either wired or wireless. Not both at the same time.

Update your post to include make and model routers plus connectivity.

Your connectivity is probably something like:

ISP --->main router[LAN port]-----ethernet cable --->[LAN port] Repeater Router [LAN port] ---ethernet---> PC

or ~~~~ wireless ~~~> PC somewhere along the way.

Edit the diagram as necessary to show your network.

Also: are you able to run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

The results could be helpful.

Apr 24, 2020
First of all, thank you for your help!

1) No, the PC always stays at its place.

2) Look, it's actually quite hard to explain... So please let me elaborate.

My house was connected (physically) to the Internet not too long ago, right before I moved into it. The system is as follows: a fiber (or whatever) cable goes into a media converter and then into an Asus RT-N12 router which acts as the main router and sits in the garage. From that router two Ethernet cables go into the house (inside the walls) and through Ethernet outlets get connected to two identical Asus RT-AC53, one on each floor, both of which supposedly act as mere repeaters.

Now, as it is, the system works decent enough. Can't really complain too much.

But I have my man cave on the second floor, with my gaming PC, a TV and some consoles. I wanted to try and eliminate shady WiFi by having my devices connected via Ethernet cables. I actually bought a switch, and tried to connect two consoles, a TV and the PC (the router only has two ports for that, so needed a switch).

I can't really identify what happened, but as soon as I start introducing elements into this pre-installed system, things just start going wrong eventually. The connection drops, the router seems to lose Internet connectivity altogether etc. I even tried something similar on the first floor with a WiFi Extender. That also turned out worse than without one. But that floor is not important.

So I abandoned the idea and just want my PC connected via cable. It works for several days at times, but then drops all of a sudden. Loses Internet. WiFi also loses Internet. The second router just gets overflown or something, I don't know. It starts acting weird. So I reset the second floor router and even sometimes and main garage router, and it starts working again. But the problem isn't one off, it is reproducible. Just weird, but consistently weird. My ISP swears there are no hidden obstacles or peculiar settings.

Furthermore, I even remember trying to connect my PC directly into the wall Ethernet outlet (disconnecting the second router altogether) and that, too, was shady.

3) I guess I answered that. Turn off, give some time.

To add: the actual main internet (knock on wood) never disconnects. It's only my second floor stuff :)

4) Not always... Thank you for the tip! Never thought of that...

5) Master Cable from City -> Main router -> Cables into house -> Router Floor 1;
-> Router Floor 2 -> PC (ideally: PC, then cable into switch across room -> then TV and Xbox)

5.1) Asus RT-N12, two Asus RT-AC53

6)

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MyHPOmen
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-7C-D1-FB-EC-34
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::882d:2e61:f89:485e%19(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.38(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, April 24, 2020 3:01:01 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, April 25, 2020 8:36:05 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 46169297
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1F-0E-6D-C6-C0-7C-D1-FB-EC-34
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AC-2B-6E-90-89-41

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #3
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AE-2B-6E-90-89-40

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AC-2B-6E-90-89-40

EDIT:

As for why do I even bother:

I used to live in another house with a cable going into the house into my Cisco router (no repeaters or anything), which had like 5 or 6 Ethernet Out ports. So I connected all kinds of devices via cables with no setup, nothing, and it worked perfectly for several years.

So I have gotten used to cables. I like having something more stable than WiFi. So I just wanted to replicate that in my new home.

Also, I've noticed the more devices I connect this way now, the worse it gets, the faster it drops. When I tried PC, TV and two consoles via switch - it didn't seem to last a day.

Also, to clarify: I've tried various cables, so it mustn't be a cable problem (I have like four or five varieties of them, all branded, not self-made).

Last edited: