Ethernet function lost -- how to determine the reason?

jhsachs

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I've got an EVGA 132-CK-NF79 motherboard whose Ethernet ports seem to have failed simultaneously. I'm looking for advice on how to diagnose the problem.

I haven't used the system for a couple of weeks. The last time I turned it on, the network connection was working normally on one port. I don't recall whether I ever tested the other port.

Now there's no connectivity in either Windows 7 or Ubuntu 16.04. Since both used to be able to access the Internet and now neither can, I don't think the problem is software. When I move the Ethernet cable to another computer I get normal connectivity, so the problem isn't in the cable or downstream. That leaves the motherboard itself, and specifically the ports.

Each port connector has a yellow light which goes on when the cable is plugged in. According to the manual this indicates a 10 Mbps link without activity.

In Linux, the ethtool eth0 command indicates "No such device." I assume that the second port is eth1, and ethtool eth1 also indicates "No such device."

The logical conclusion is that both Ethernet ports have failed since the last time the computer was used. It's logical, but it seems unlikely. Why should that happen to a thoroughly burned-in board that has just been sitting with power applied but turned off?

I'm looking for advice on how to figure out what's really wrong -- including failure of both ports, if that's actually the problem.