[SOLVED] Ethernet goes out randomly and in bursts, and only affects my computer

PiercingHog

Prominent
Apr 18, 2020
I have quite a bit of information on this topic because it has been affecting me for the past 2 months, so I can give you additional information if you need it. Here's a summary.

For the past two months, my computer randomly loses access to the internet with it's ethernet connection. The only thing that fixes this is going into the Network Troubleshooter and running it. It "Resets the Ethernet Adapter" and the connection is fixed. However, that doesn't last and the problem keeps happening.
This happens randomly and seems to be in bursts. The connection will be fine for 5-7 hours straight and then loses connection every 5 minutes for an hour. This cycle happens on average 2-3 times a day.
This is only my computer. My girlfriend's computer which is in the same room and connected to the same internet does not have this problem, and the wifi still works for our phones.

Some things that I've tried:
  • Every internet suggestion about uninstalling troublesome programs, deleting/reinstalling/updating drivers, system settings changes, etc.
  • Switching ethernet cords with my girlfriend and trying brand new ones to see if its a problem with my ethernet cord.
  • Contacting my internet provider and getting techs to come out to my apartment to ensure it's not a signal or modem problem and replacing the modem multiple times.

I'm fairly certain this is a computer hardware problem because I literally have no idea what else it would be. However, if there is something else I should/can do, I would love to hear it. Otherwise, does anyone know what part might be the problem and if I should replace something and what that might be? Thank you so much.

Solution
I had this problem on my old motherboard. It was the ethernet chip physically burning out and going bad. Over time it eventually got worse and worse, then wen't completely out and wouldn't work at all. Buying a PCIe ethernet card solved my issue.
The first obvious step: List the hardware, the network and name of internet router/modem, the components age and if there are other issues you know of.

And you still haven't (said to):
  • have it connected to another router.
  • used another OS (Linux Live iso image) or reinstalled windows to test.
  • Change power settings - some network card support being put in sleep mode to save power, mostly on portable computers.

PiercingHog

Prominent
Apr 18, 2020
The first obvious step: List the hardware, the network and name of internet router/modem, the components age and if there are other issues you know of.

And you still haven't (said to):
  • have it connected to another router.
  • used another OS (Linux Live iso image) or reinstalled windows to test.
  • Change power settings - some network card support being put in sleep mode to save power, mostly on portable computers.
I have a ASRock B250M Pro4-IB motherboard, a GeForce GTX 1070 graphics card, and an intel i7-7700k. All parts are about 4 years old. The modem is from Cox communications. I've had several techs come out with different modems (don't have a router) and none of them had any difference. I already changed the power settings to make sure it didn't go to sleep. The only thing I haven't done is to use another OS or reinstall windows. Does reinstalling windows really help with stuff like this? I'm obviously not an expert, but it seems like it might be a hardware issue and not an operating system issue since nothing else has been weird and I still have a great connection when it's not going out. That's me sincerely asking, I'm not trying to be condescending or anything. It's hard to not sound like that over the internet. Thank you for your help!

If you ONLY have a modem and not a router or a combination, I think the explanation is that you loose internet because your ISP demand yoo t change the IP. Problem is - that is the job that the router is supposed to do.
Very strange that the tech guys haven't pointed that out already.

Therefore - get a proper router and problem should be fixed.

PiercingHog

Prominent
Apr 18, 2020
If you ONLY have a modem and not a router or a combination, I think the explanation is that you loose internet because your ISP demand yoo t change the IP. Problem is - that is the job that the router is supposed to do.
Very strange that the tech guys haven't pointed that out already.

Therefore - get a proper router and problem should be fixed.
I'm pretty sure that this modem that I have is like a router and modem in one. I'm pretty sure it is, but my provider's store was closed today so I can't check.
I think I narrowed it down a lot. It seems I can replicate this problem when I play a YouTube video. Whenever I start watching a new Youtube video, the internet goes out about 20 seconds later. It's not an issue with the browser because I've uninstalled/reinstalled Chrome which is my default and also tested this on other browsers like Microsoft Edge. I've also uninstalled chrome extensions like adblock and it still happens.

I had this problem on my old motherboard. It was the ethernet chip physically burning out and going bad. Over time it eventually got worse and worse, then wen't completely out and wouldn't work at all. Buying a PCIe ethernet card solved my issue.

Solution