Ethernet interface shuts down suddenly?

asadz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Guys, I'm stuck in between a very bad cocktail mix of two very desperate technologies. One what is widely known vulnerability scanner known as Nessus and other is Juniper ex2200. When I'm running the two together the NIC card on my hp mini tower 6200 pro collapses and shuts down completely. This happens roughly 2-3 minutes into the nessus scan.

My environment is that I have a juniper swithc set up along with ssg-5which provides the gateway for the lab-test environment. Firewall is working in NAT mode.

Rough description of my problem enviroment is

Juniper ---> uplink
|
SWITCH ---> vlan 20 > connected via trunk cable
|
PC - Gigbait Ethernet card (belongs to vlan20)

I have to tried to do some bit of root cause analysis , just when the Ethernet card / interfaces shut down i on the wire-shark get the message
(if i remember correctly) Juniper84:91:12 ........ 52 RST spanning tree..

It is a link layer protocol message most definitely be coming from the Juniper switch.

Also On the flip side if i run the scan using uplink direct connected into my NIC card i get no problem.

I'm thinking that there is some kind of update sent from switch to my access port which kind shuts down the NIC card. Like the stp updates. Right now, i haven't disabled such updates because i really don't know what is causing it.

Also, kind suggest any troubleshooting steps / commands i can run on switch device> ThANKs

asadz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010

Thanks your your answer. No its just happens when i run the scan. sk1939 can you please help me removing these loops at least on my layer because i don't have access to core l2/l3 cisco switch but i do have juniper ex-2200 with m