Question Ethernet is slow but shows fast speeds

Jakubrr

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021
Why does it show that I get 300 Mbps through ethernet but when I download games I get 4.7 MBps peak?

How do I fix this?
There is no way to fix this if the other server cannot handle or doesn't have a higher upload speed. There could be a work around ONLY if there are multiple download mirrors. Typically you will see distribution mirrors from companies that distribute Linux or other open-source software. You might be able to choose from 100 different locations that have agreed to host the download and you can try a different location. However, by no means does changing the location ensure a higher download speed. Often times the speed will be worse. Now I reitterate that this is ONLY a possibility if you can choose from multiple download locations. If you cannot choose from where to download then you are stuck with whatever connection the server on the other end can handle.

Jakubrr

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021
There is no way to fix this if the other server cannot handle or doesn't have a higher upload speed. There could be a work around ONLY if there are multiple download mirrors. Typically you will see distribution mirrors from companies that distribute Linux or other open-source software. You might be able to choose from 100 different locations that have agreed to host the download and you can try a different location. However, by no means does changing the location ensure a higher download speed. Often times the speed will be worse. Now I reitterate that this is ONLY a possibility if you can choose from multiple download locations. If you cannot choose from where to download then you are stuck with whatever connection the server on the other end can handle.
is there a way to possibly speed up my internet download by for example getting better internet plan from companies or am I stuck to 4.7MBps because of my location?

is there a way to possibly speed up my internet download by for example getting better internet plan from companies or am I stuck to 4.7MBps because of my location?
You have a 300Mbps connection which means you can download at speeds UP TO 300Mbps. That isn't a guarantee that you will get 300Mbps download speeds everywhere you go. There are plenty of places that only have a single 1000Mbps upload connection and do not want to have the entire bandwidth taken up by a single connection. Those places can throttle all upload speeds to any speed they want (even as low at 1Kbps). At that point you could have a 1Tbit connection and it wouldn't matter as the host is saying you only get 50Mbit for example.

What does speedtest show. This is a actually a file download and upload that is not kept. If speedtest works then there is nothing wrong with your internet or router and the basic networks is fine on your pc. It could then be the server or maybe software issues on your pc.

If you do not get the rated speed on speedtest then that you should call your ISP about. Now if you were to say get 250mbps but where paying for 300 then the ISP may use the silly "up to" excuse. Most people actually get slightly more than they pay for.
It is a very different thing though if you only get say 50mbps when you are paying for 300.

Reactions: aldan
What does speedtest show. This is a actually a file download and upload that is not kept. If speedtest works then there is nothing wrong with your internet or router and the basic networks is fine on your pc. It could then be the server or maybe software issues on your pc.

If you do not get the rated speed on speedtest then that you should call your ISP about. Now if you were to say get 250mbps but where paying for 300 then the ISP may use the silly "up to" excuse. Most people actually get slightly more than they pay for.
It is a very different thing though if you only get say 50mbps when you are paying for 300.
If your ISP is a cable provider then your download speeds can fluctuate quite a bit during the day depending on network load in your area.

Jakubrr

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021

So what do I do?

That is your next best step.

Now they will likely try to say they see no problems and it all your equipment.

What you can do is try to eliminate all the things they will blame. If you have a second device try that to see if that they both get poor speed.
If you have a separate modem and router you can try the pc directly plugged into the modem. Some times you must power cycle the modem everytime you plug something different into it. The reason to try this is so that they don't try to blame your router.

I will to a point agree with the above post but 35mbps is barely above 10% of what you pay for. If you only got say 75% then maybe they could get by with that garbage but if you have no other options for ISP they can do whatever they want.

Jakubrr

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021
That is your next best step.

Now they will likely try to say they see no problems and it all your equipment.

What you can do is try to eliminate all the things they will blame. If you have a second device try that to see if that they both get poor speed.
If you have a separate modem and router you can try the pc directly plugged into the modem. Some times you must power cycle the modem everytime you plug something different into it. The reason to try this is so that they don't try to blame your router.

I will to a point agree with the above post but 35mbps is barely above 10% of what you pay for. If you only got say 75% then maybe they could get by with that garbage but if you have no other options for ISP they can do whatever they want.
Alright thank you