[SOLVED] Ethernet is slower than wifi by a wide margin.

Feb 13, 2019
Hey!

I recently got an Ethernet connection due to stability issues with my wireless connection, but after doing some speed testing, I found that my wifi has a much faster download speed - upto 2-3x faster, actually.

Now, the ping is normally the same, but this is still concerning.

The first photo is when using both Ethernet and WiFi.
IaxV4FG.png

The second photo is when using only Ethernet.
PmTuhoM.png

The third photo is when only using WiFi.
UeTEh2A.png

Now, I should clarify that I'm not using a direct Ethernet connection. I'm currently using a TP-Link connection and these cords, which I understand will limit my speeds, but still. I don't think it should be this drastic of a reduction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can add details if I'm missing something important!

Solution
You should only use CPL connexions when wi-fi can't go through walls and you don't want to roll out meters and meters of ethernet cable across your apartment.
Your TP-link connectors are bottlenecking you - if you plugged your computer directly into the box, your Ethernet performance would be higher than your wi-fi's.
You should only use CPL connexions when wi-fi can't go through walls and you don't want to roll out meters and meters of ethernet cable across your apartment.
Your TP-link connectors are bottlenecking you - if you plugged your computer directly into the box, your Ethernet performance would be higher than your wi-fi's.

Reactions: Zenyatta
Solution
Feb 13, 2019

I see. That makes sense. I'll try buying a long cable to run it through my home to confirm. Thanks for the quick reply!