Ethernet is slower than Wifi only with my PC

Danial Daneshmand

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015
Here's the thing. I usually have a 10 meter ethernet cable attached to PC from router
never had any issues got around 10Mbits speed (which is what promised by ISP no problem)
And now I'm not even reaching 1Mbits. speed is about 20 Kilobytes.

- I attached another ethernet from router to my laptop no problem it reached 10Mb
- attached the same 10 meter ethernet to the laptop again no issue
- deleted AMD's gimmicks which i found out for some people made issues, no luck
- reset my whole network settings, nothing

Windows is 10 64-bit, driver for Lan is updated, deleted the extra useless connections, no proxy is being used, resource monitor doesn't show any suspicious downloads or so and i used Avast no malware has been found. also played with router no luck there as well.

Now what did is attached one of those usb wireless adaptors and voila. 10 Mbits.
So the problem is only apparent with Lan which is crazy.

Any suggestions would be nice, thanks in advance.

Solution
Install a new network card, they don't cost much and it's the most positive way (and the easiest) to move ahead with this issue and to know if the existing network chip on the motherboard is the culprit.

That's what I would do even without any advice, I would have done it already before starting the thread. I mean it's not as though a new NIC costs a wad of cash to troubleshoot the issue by swapping out the most likely culprit.

A no brainer if ever there was one,

Ralston18

Titan
As I follow your troubleshooting it does appear that you have eliminated the ethernet cable as the cause by swapping the cables around between laptop and PC.

On the PC:

Are you using 1) the built in motherboard ethernet adapter, 2) a USB wired ethernet adapter, or 3) a third party PCIx ethernet adapter on the PC?

If 2 or 3, verify that they are fully and snuggly seated in place. If 1) inspect the inside connections for any signs of trouble - cracks, looseness, debris/dust.

Then check the PC's wired network adapter's IPv4 configuration.

Reconfigure to match the router: use manual configurations versus "auto". Or vice versa if necessary.

Especially speed and duplex.

Failing any success there; download and reinstall the wired network adapter drivers on your PC via the wired network adapter's manufacturer's website.

Danial Daneshmand

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015

Thank you.

Not really it's just that, wireless fixed the issue but i do rather using the ethernet cable.
It's built-in motherboard.

By using manual configurations do you mean disable DHCP?
It fails working after that somehow.

Problem is i have a Wireless receiver, one of those face to face wireless Transceivers and from that it's connected to router with DHCP turned off and on PC i believe i have to turn DHCP on (obtain settings automatically) in order to make it function properly.

these aside maybe i set things wrong.
If the Router's ip is 192.168.5.10 and the Wireless receiver's ip is 192.168.5.1 what should i put in as Subnet and default gateway?

Danial Daneshmand

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015
Ok so i called the support they helped but after lots of testing and setting static ip still having low speed which they confirmed.
This is starting to seem like there is a problem with my ethernet port.

Could anyone suggest how can i test my ethernet port for speed or diagnostics?
would data transfer be a good way to test it?

Install a new network card, they don't cost much and it's the most positive way (and the easiest) to move ahead with this issue and to know if the existing network chip on the motherboard is the culprit.

That's what I would do even without any advice, I would have done it already before starting the thread. I mean it's not as though a new NIC costs a wad of cash to troubleshoot the issue by swapping out the most likely culprit.

A no brainer if ever there was one,

Solution

Danial Daneshmand

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015

Yeah i should've done it already.
Thanks

Ralston18

Titan
"Face to face wireless transceivers" - do you mean a wireless range extender?

1) ISP ------> Wireless Router ~~~~~wireless~~~~~~> Range extender } other wired and wireless devices.

Or

2) ISP ------> Wireless Router ----- ethernet wire -----------> Access Point } other wired and wireless devices.

Which line diagram (if either) is correct? 1) above is very likely to be slow even if correctly configured.

Make and model of the devices?

What IP addresses and subnet masks are assigned to the devices?

In any case, the router should be configured to issue IP addresses via DHCP. The devices should be configured to request a DHCP address from the router at 192.168.5.10 (Default Gateway and DHCP Server) using a subnet mask most likely 255.255.255.0. Please post if different.,

What is the source/reasons of the 192.168.5.10 (router?) and 192.168.5.1 IP addresses being used?

If the router's default DHCP address ranges starts at 192.168.5.11 I am not about the full viability of using 192.168.5.1

But you said support provided a static IP? What was that static IP, what subnet mask did support apply, and what device received the static IP?

Feel that I am still missing something with respect to both the overall picture and the details within.

Danial Daneshmand

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015

It's like this : ISP > Wireless antenna > Linksys E2000 Router > Ethernet to PC

Problem was the Lan port it got damaged (probably because i switched to my other ISP all the time must have broken it)
This is the router 192.168.5.10 and this one 192.168.5.1 is the wireless antenna's.
Support changed the DHCP settings for my Mac address in order to make it more stable but all these didn't work obviously.

For now i'm still using one of these :
TL-WN823N-01.jpg

I'll pickup a PCI ethernet soon.