[SOLVED] Ethernet is very slow on PC, but WiFi on laptop is high speed ?

Jamlev

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
The LAN cable connection to my PC cannot get higher than 8.5Mbps no matter what I do it. The same network connection on the laptop using WiFi is over 100Mbps ?

Here is what I have tried:

Windows 10 reset network connections
3 different CAT5 cables
Two different ISPs
Two different routers
USB WiFi adaptor
Uninstalling Express VPN
Change network adaptor settings to 1Gbps full-duplex

No matter what I try, it always maxes out at 8.5Mbps using speedtest.net to the same server as a control.

The network adaptor is an onboard Realtek PCIe on a MSI B350M PRO VD Plus mainboard.

Pls help - its driving me insane!

Solution
There is a setting on the ethernet port that lets you set speed and duplex. You want to always set it to auto. You get all kinds of strange problems if you attempt to set the speed and the router is set to auto. The router expect the signally done when it is set to auto and when it does not get it sometime it will not correctly connect. There is no way to change the option to anything other than auto on router which means you must set it to auto on your pc.

Jamlev

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
Ok, I've just found why it is happening but no idea how to change it.

In Windows 10 Network Status > Properties > Link speed (Receive/Transmit) shows 10/10

How can I change this to what it should be? The ethernet adaptor can handle 1000.

These problems are almost always defective cables. You want to always leave it in auto since most routers only run auto and both ends must be set the same. Disable any power save crap is also a good option but most times having those option on just makes longer cables not work at all.

The major problem in last few years is the massive amount of fake cable you see. Copper metal has almost doubled in price in the last 5 years. You need to buy pure copper cables (no CCA) with wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cable that have small wires). Cat5e is fine unless you find cat6 for cheaper both run gigabit speeds to 100 meters.

Jamlev

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I have ordered a new CAT6 cable that should help.

Does Windows automatically detect and set this "Link speed (Receive/Transmit)" value then?

Can it be manually overridden in the registry or something. It is currently 100/100 which is better than 10/10 - but the connection is 1Gbps so it can go faster.

There is a setting on the ethernet port that lets you set speed and duplex. You want to always set it to auto. You get all kinds of strange problems if you attempt to set the speed and the router is set to auto. The router expect the signally done when it is set to auto and when it does not get it sometime it will not correctly connect. There is no way to change the option to anything other than auto on router which means you must set it to auto on your pc.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution