Question Ethernet keeps disconnecting and reconnecting every second after installing a network switch ?

Jan 10, 2022
Hi guys,
I recently bought a network switch to improve my home network. After plugging the PC into the switch, it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting every second.

My setup is simple, I had:
Router -> PC (via ethernet)
Router -> Access Point (via wifi as a extender)

then to improve the speed on my access point, i bought a network switch, and now it's:
Router -> Switch
Switch -> Access Point (via ethernet) - this works. i even followed the guide on here to disable DHCP and assign IP one increment above master router. It actually works without disabling DHCP too.
Switch -> PC (via ethernet) - this keeps going ON-OFF-ON-OFF....driving me nuts

Some troubleshooting i've done:
  • connect the PC straight to master router, still works like before
  • flushdns, ipconfig release, renew...
  • try every port on the switch
  • reboot every device on the network
  • assign my PC an IP from windows
  • assign my PC an IP from the master router
  • connect the PC to either router via wifi, still works, but i do need to use ethernet for gaming
what I cannot do:
- connect the PC to the access point, it only has one port and it's one of those extenders

So i achieved the improved speed i wanted on the access point, but in the process my PC's ethernet is wonky now. It does have internet, but disconnects every second.
Any advice will be appreciated!

Ralston18

Titan
Reference:

" i even followed the guide on here to disable DHCP and assign IP one increment above master router. It actually works without disabling DHCP too. "

But DHCP is off - correct?

Update your post to include make and model information for Modem, Router, Access Point and Switch(s) - if a replacement switch did not/does not work.