Question Ethernet lags/cuts off but WiFi works flawlessly

deejaawoo

Prominent
Mar 24, 2020
Hi.

information:
So i have a PC build which is connected to internet via Ethernet cable. And other devices via WiFi
My Router: TP Link Archer C6
Ryzen 5 build - Motherboard B450M Pro M2 V2
Windows 10 Updated
100mbps internet plan PPPoE connection

Issue:
Internet on my PC cuts off randomly. And I do not get No internet connection message. It is laggy Google search query loads up after 10-15 seconds... Whereas normally it takes probably 0.5 seconds

I Run a speedtest on the speedtest website the speed goes up to a certain point and freezes ... Example it freezes at 80mbps then I get "Download socket error"

BUT - at the same time i can browse everything on WiFi smoothly ... Even the Speedtest app on my phone works perfectly.

Thus the issue is definitely with my Ethernet connection.

Temporary fix - Restarting the router and then it works fine ... But it becomes Sluggish again in a while and i have to reboot router for about 20 times a day.

Fixes I've tried (and Failed):
  1. Changing the Ethernet Port
  2. Turning off Firewall
  3. Changing Ethernet wire to Cat 5e
  4. Updating Gigabyte Pcie Network Drivers (It was already updated though)
  5. Turning windows ethernet power saver off
  6. Some random fixes i tried too
Please suggest me what should i do. I am really frustrated with this. I cannot restart my router 20 times a day. Im sure there something I'm doing wrong... Please help me ...

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
A couple of questions.

Your pc has both ethernet and wifi ?
When you run on wifi and say it is fine you are testing on your pc or just on other devices?
You do not have both the ethernet and the wifi active at the same time ?

I would leave a constant ping to your router IP run in a back ground window. Actual ethernet problems will show packet loss to the router. Ethernet is pretty simplistic technology so it seldom is the actual problem.

Not sure the step too many things can cause this. Maybe download a linux boot image to a usb stick and boot that. This would eliminate most hardware issues as the cause since it is a different OS that run completely from the USB.

deejaawoo

Prominent
Mar 24, 2020
A couple of questions.

When you run on wifi and say it is fine you are testing on your pc or just on other devices?

I would leave a constant ping to your router IP run in a back ground window. Actual ethernet problems will show packet loss to the router. Ethernet is pretty simplistic technology so it seldom is the actual problem.

Not sure the step too many things can cause this. Maybe download a linux boot image to a usb stick and boot that. This would eliminate most hardware issues as the cause since it is a different OS that run completely from the USB.

Hi thanks for the reply

My PC only has Ethernet .... I use wifi on my phone which works flawlessly during the lagg on the Ethernet/PC

I really don't know much about Linux boot image etc ... I'm a mediocre techie ... what about the constant ping?

I had tried ping www.google.com and there were no loss during the lag period...

If it was just web pages I would say it is DNS issues but because it also causes issues for speedtest it is not as likely. Speedtest only uses DNS when it first starts after it gets going it no longer uses it.

Because you ping all the way to google and it shows no problems it means the network is functional.

It has to be software on the machine causing this. Not sure what can not affect the ping but have the other issues. Maybe the browser itself. Does something like steam stall or fail downloads.

You are going to have to do some more testing to see if you can isolate what is different between the ping commands and the software that has issues.

deejaawoo

Prominent
Mar 24, 2020
A couple of questions.

I literally did nothing and the problem got solved .... BUT now after few months the problem has started again ... Any Idea?