Ethernet LAN home setup..what am I doing wrong?

oyone

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
Hello,

My new apartment appears to be hardwired for cat5 as there are cat5 jacks in every room [see image 1]. I am trying to take advantage of this and hardwire my PC in my room to the internet via the cat5 port (for faster xfer speeds and stability). I have Verizon Fios, which was set up on coax originally. I recently called Verizon to have an NT switch my data connection on my ONT from coax to ethernet.

xnGYfMC.jpg

My current setup:

My ONT was switched from coax to ethernet successfully, so I have connected the Ethernet port on the ONT to the WAN port on my Verizon Actionec router. This connection works, and I am able to connect to the internet wirelessly via the wireless router. [see image 2,3 yellow cable]

y2ONe9y.jpg

9QOIqGV.jpg

Above the ONT is a separate box where the phone line cables and data cables from every room converge. The phone line cables are hooked up to a plate on the wall, and the data cables were left tied up and bare (no plugs on the end), with labels for first bedroom, second bedroom, etc. I assume these are hooked up to the cat5 jacks on the walls in the bedroom. [see image 4]

5DLR5fo.jpg

The actiontec router has 4 ports for LAN. I assumed that if I were to crimp modular plugs to the bare data cables and plug them into the LAN ports on the router that I could connect all of them to the internet.

Well, I tried crimping several of the data cables and plugging them in to the LAN ports on the router. When I plugged them in, nothing happened (light on router did not turn green, and there was no internet connectivity). What am I doing wrong? Shouldn't this work in theory? I'd really like to use the wall jacks if I can (ideally I could even plug my bluray player into the wall so that I could watch netflix). Any help is appreciated!!!!

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, it will work once you identify which cables go where, properly attach the Ethernet RJ-45 connectors with a proper CRIMPER, Home Depot usually has them as well as the connectors. The wires should be all the way into the connector and use a nice tight crimp, as that makes the connection secure and reduces signal loss that could occur at poor connections.

Get a socket and cable tester like THIS ONE so you can check the in-wall wiring. The tester is also useful for telephone lines, and Ethernet patch cables.

Are you sure that you are using the correct 568B WIRING PATTERN on each end, and that the other end is actually connected to the wall jack -- I have seen the cable just coiled up in the wall behind the outlet on many occasions.

Once you have all the cables identified and working you can connect 4 to your router or just three and connect a switch to the other port to attach another group of cables (you can attach many more, depending on the switch size -- it will allow one less connection than it has ports, one port will go to the router LAN port).

TRENDING THREADS