[SOLVED] Ethernet loses connection after sleep mode

Dec 23, 2021
I am using a new from-the-ground-up computer with ASUS Z490-A mobo. I noticed that when I pc goes to sleep and I wake it back up, my ethernet connection cannot be reestablished.

the ONLY solution is to restart the pc in order to reconnect. Unplugging ethernet cords does not work. I have replicated this with my old pc and it doesn’t not happen.

any solutions?

Solution
I would look thought he bios settings and see if there are any power saving or similar option on. I would also check microsoft setting since some of these can affect bios setting.
When it says disconnected that tend to be more of a hardware thing since this is before drivers are even loaded. BUT this is not acting like a true hardware issue because that would it would fail more randomly.

Make sure you have the proper motherboard drivers installed. Most times though the ethernet port just does not show up at all if you forget to install the motherboard drivers.

This issue is indeed strange.
What is the actual status of the ethernet port. Does IPCONFIG show it as disconnected or is it up but just does not have a IP address.

Although I never heard this being a issue I would go to intel and get the latest driver for that chipset. The 2.5g ports have a history of very strange issues. Part of the issue is microsoft update will put in generic drivers over the top of intel. Microsoft should have to send someone out to every ones house they mess up maybe then they would not be so arrogant about their updates.

Dec 23, 2021
What is the actual status of the ethernet port. Does IPCONFIG show it as disconnected or is it up but just does not have a IP address.

Although I never heard this being a issue I would go to intel and get the latest driver for that chipset. The 2.5g ports have a history of very strange issues. Part of the issue is microsoft update will put in generic drivers over the top of intel. Microsoft should have to send someone out to every ones house they mess up maybe then they would not be so arrogant about their updates.
I just ran this test for you - ipconfig when running normally and shows everything as normal, then I put my pc to sleep manually and woke it up and ipconfig shows “media disconnected” however still shows my DNS suffix

I downloaded intel chipset and showed everything as proper.

unsure how to solve this problem

I would look thought he bios settings and see if there are any power saving or similar option on. I would also check microsoft setting since some of these can affect bios setting.
When it says disconnected that tend to be more of a hardware thing since this is before drivers are even loaded. BUT this is not acting like a true hardware issue because that would it would fail more randomly.

Make sure you have the proper motherboard drivers installed. Most times though the ethernet port just does not show up at all if you forget to install the motherboard drivers.

This issue is indeed strange.

Solution