[SOLVED] [ethernet] No matter how hard I press on the crimping tool, only every other connector is pressed down, is that normal?

cloudropis_1

Honorable
Dec 16, 2016
View: https://imgur.com/a/6FP9MBj

This is how it looks like. As you can see, only one every two pins is pressed down, unlike every other cable I have in my house that, crimped down, have everything in one neat row. I keep retrying with the crimping tool (the same that did those other cables) but nothing changes.
At this point I'm wondering if some rj45s are just made like this because it's curious it's only every other one, like it's on purpose, is it that or is the crimping simply wrong?

Solution
By "no" i take it you mean "there's no way it's supposed to be alternating like that"?
There's not even a brand etched anywhere on this thing, I took it from my dad's toolbox. It's the one he used to crimp every other ethernet in the house so I'd chalk it up to user error. It's still insane though that after hours of applying as much force as I can it's still like this.
I have had RJ45s that specific crimpers didn't like. You can try a different brand of RJ45. If you routinely crimp -- for jumpers, I don't recommend that any more. Buy pre-made.

kanewolf

Titan
View: https://imgur.com/a/6FP9MBj

This is how it looks like. As you can see, only one every two pins is pressed down, unlike every other cable I have in my house that, crimped down, have everything in one neat row. I keep retrying with the crimping tool (the same that did those other cables) but nothing changes.
At this point I'm wondering if some rj45s are just made like this because it's curious it's only every other one, like it's on purpose, is it that or is the crimping simply wrong?
No. What brand crimper? Name brand (greenlee, excite, etc) or generic Chinese ?

cloudropis_1

Honorable
Dec 16, 2016
No. What brand crimper? Name brand (greenlee, excite, etc) or generic Chinese ?
By "no" i take it you mean "there's no way it's supposed to be alternating like that"?
There's not even a brand etched anywhere on this thing, I took it from my dad's toolbox. It's the one he used to crimp every other ethernet in the house so I'd chalk it up to user error. It's still insane though that after hours of applying as much force as I can it's still like this.

kanewolf

Titan
I have had RJ45s that specific crimpers didn't like. You can try a different brand of RJ45. If you routinely crimp -- for jumpers, I don't recommend that any more. Buy pre-made.

Solution