Question Ethernet Not Functioning Properly

dlreed27

Reputable
Jun 15, 2019
I have a 75 foot ethernet cable running from my modem upstairs to my setup downstairs. I've been using the same ethernet cable for over a year now and never had any issues until today. When I plug that ethernet cord into my Xbox it works perfectly fine, but when I plug it into my PC, nothing. WIndows doesn't even detect a cord being plugged in. I tested my PC with a different ethernet cord, and it works perfectly fine. I genuinely have no idea why my PC doesn't detect any signal from the router.

Likely one of the ends has very slightly damage that the pc can not tolerate. Although you could look for dirt or corrosion it is almost always one of the wires inside the plug that is not making proper contact.
It could be the wire itself if it for example got pinched in a door.

This one is hard to say if it is cheaper to try to replace the ends or just replace the cable. When you look at the price of the tool and the ends it is about the same as just buying a new cable.

If this is run in the wall then you can consider using keystone jacks instead of rj45 plugs. They now make toolless keystones and they are pretty easy for a beginner to install unlike a rj45 plug.

Be aware if the cable you have is fake..ie is not pure copper or is that flat or thin cable...you will not be able to reterminate the ends easily. Fakes cable can be the cause of your problems in the first place. Because they don't meet the standards to be actual ethernet cables some device have more issues using them and it gets worse the longer the cable is.