• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Ethernet not Recognised

kunal96

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012
Hey,

I have just built a new PC and I am having a problem with my network. I use an Ethernet cable. Everytime I restart Windows 10 and log back in I am not connected to the internet. It seems my ethernet cable is not detected when I log back in. This only happens when I restart the computer, if I do a full system shutdown and then turn it back on, the ethernet connection is recognised as normal.

My Ethernet driver is the most up to date one and I downloaded it from Gigabyte (my motherboard manufacturer).

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Sounds like a hardware issue. Try this--start up windows and then logout and reboot to a linux live cd/usb and see if it is recognized there. If so, hardware is probably working fine and it's a driver issue in windows.

kunal96

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012
Full product name ?
Hey, i have fixed the issue. I have a Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Pro AX. It turned out the ethernet drivers on gigabyte's website are broken. So i uninstalled them and let windows update download an older driver - seems to work now.

ASK THE COMMUNITY