Question Ethernet not working but Wifi does

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 16, 2019
My ethernet on my PC stopped working, but my wifi continues to work? I am at a loss here. Below is what I've done for troubleshooting.

Reset the Ethernet Adapter
Windows 10 Network Reset
CMD -> Run as admin -> Netsh Winsock Reset
Checked Ethernet Port by Plugging Directly to Modem on Laptop and PC, neither work
Checked Cable
Reset the Router and Unplugged Modem
Updated Drivers for Realtek Gaming Family GBE Controller
Uninstalled Realtek Controller and Restarted
Reinstalled Windows 10
Plugged into all ports on the router
Cursed at it

Thanks

Last edited:
May 16, 2019
Link the article you used for winsock reset. Just to clarify you've tested other computers and the lan adapter works no problem correct?
Not sure what you mean about the article question.

I used my laptop to connect directly to the modem and it does not work. The LAN adapter on my laptop I know is functioning.

Jan 16, 2019
Yeah sorry mate would be nice if you could get a loan router to test with to confirm it but "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."

The router either has a hardware fault or is misconfigured for LAN connections. You've tried multiple cables and you've tried multiple machines the only common link is the router.

May 16, 2019
Yeah sorry mate would be nice if you could get a loan router to test with to confirm it but "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."

The router either has a hardware fault or is misconfigured for LAN connections. You've tried multiple cables and you've tried multiple machines the only common link is the router.
I've had it for roughly 7 years, it had a good run. Thanks for the help.