Ethernet not working for either built-in motherboard port or ethernet card

Apr 26, 2018
Hey everyone,

Alright, my main issue is that my ethernet port on my motherboard stopped working. The small lights around the ethernet port do not light up when there is an ethernet cord connected to it.

My PC has both Windows 10 and Linux Mint installed on my main hard drive.I have already tried updating the drivers in windows and my motherboard bios is up to date. I tried to connect to the internet using the Linux as well, even went as far as to try to run linux mint from a portable usb drive. They all could not detect that ethernet was plugged in, which led me to believe that the ethernet port was shot for the motherboard. So I bought a PCIe ethernet card to try to solve the problem.

For some reason the ethernet card worked on windows for about 30 minutes for the first time, and then my computer would not be able to detect that anything was connected, even after reboot. Linux had similar results. The card worked perfectly for my other PC, so I don't think that the card was defective

On a possibly related note, my computer also randomly reboots itself without warning. The average temperature for the motherboard is around 50-55 degrees C while the cpu runs at about 40-50 degrees C, so I believe that rules out overheating.

Specs:
Motherboard: AsusTek M5A78L-M/USB3
CPU: AMD FX-6300
Window 10-64bit and Linux Mint Dual-boot

I realize that the motherboard might need to be replaced, but I wanted to see if there was anything else I can do to fix it.

Thanks

tacgnol06

Honorable
Oct 18, 2015
Random reboots are tricky. The temps do suggest overheating isn't an issue, but that still leaves a faulty PSU, faulty motherboard, faulty RAM, or in a case I experienced once, faulty GPU. Or maybe a screw fell behind your motherboard. Hard to say without more specifics or symptoms. Since you have onboard video, you can at least attempt to rule out the GPU.

Your ethernet problems also suggest possible motherboard issues. However, I'd also try using a different port on the router or a different ethernet cable first. Quite common for those to break.

Now when you say "the computer would not detect anything" when using the ethernet card, do you mean it stops detecting the ethernet connection, or the adapter itself?

Apr 26, 2018

It stops detecting the ethernet connection. The error message tells me to put in an ethernet cord when there is one already plugged in. It also fails to detect the network card.